32% ABV beer (Tactical Nuclear Penguin)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend in the UK who's a big BrewDog fan. I'll see if he can get me (at least) a review or (hopefully) a bottle. :D

£30 for a 330ml bottle.

Can it really be called beer at 32%? I assume they must be freeze concentrating since yeast craps out for good somewhere near 25%.

Sam Adams is gonna be pissed. I think "World's Strongest Beer" is one of their major selling points for Utopias, right?

Yea I've seen a video with them talking about how proud they were of it and how they feel like they've made brewing history.

Haha, I'm all about some of their Imperial stuff, but I think Mr. Koch can be a bit full of himself sometimes. Of course, that's what it takes to run a major brewery and make the mass public think it's some kind of craft brewing operation.

At any rate, I'd love to get my hands on one of those Tactical Nuclear Penguins. (Really? No penguin emoticon?)

I'd be full of myself too if I ran Boston Brewing Company. I was going to ask how this was made since I thought yeast could only reach 25% or so...I was thinking distillation but I guess that really wouldn't be a beer then. Never heard of the freeze concentrate...learn something new every day!

There's already a couple beers with higher ABV than Utopias, if you count those which have freeze distillation, like this Brew Dog beer which started out as a 10% Imperial Stout aged in a couple whisky casks.

utopias is overrated in my opinion, how can you even call it beer at that abv percentage and not even carbonate it. its a malt brandy

I'd be full of myself too if I ran Boston Brewing Company. I was going to ask how this was made since I thought yeast could only reach 25% or so...I was thinking distillation but I guess that really wouldn't be a beer then. Never heard of the freeze concentrate...learn something new every day!

Look up the style called eisbock. It has been done for a long time, and is a popular way of boosting ABV.

I hope to get to try this beer. James from Brewdog is good friends with my local bar owner, so I'm sure it'll make its way to my area.

Look up the style called eisbock. It has been done for a long time, and is a popular way of boosting ABV.

I hope to get to try this beer. James from Brewdog is good friends with my local bar owner, so I'm sure it'll make its way to my area.

I was just thinking that too! if it makes it anywhere in the states, it'll be at Hamilton's!

Just out of curiousity, how much does a bottle of Utopias cost, and how much does a case of Sam Adams Imperial Series cost?

There are two awesome bars with over 500 kinds of beer in stock. They are in Philly, owned by the same guy...they should definitely pick those up. I'll be damned if I can think of the name of the places though. Someone on here knows what I'm talking about though. Their list of brews in stock is literally a book.

Just out of curiousity, how much does a bottle of Utopias cost, and how much does a case of Sam Adams Imperial Series cost?

There are two awesome bars with over 500 kinds of beer in stock. They are in Philly, owned by the same guy...they should definitely pick those up. I'll be damned if I can think of the name of the places though. Someone on here knows what I'm talking about though. Their list of brews in stock is literally a book.

A bottle of Utopias this year is 170. I'd say their Imperial Series is around 45 a case.

utopias is overrated in my opinion, how can you even call it beer at that abv percentage and not even carbonate it. its a malt brandy

Being a snob about BMC is sad and tired. Being a snob about a beer that's too much beer to handle is new and amusing.

Soo is this like an Eisbock or what.

Edit: I googled it, and yes it was frozen:

[ame]http://www.vimeo.com/7812379[/ame]

At any rate, I'd love to get my hands on one of those Tactical Nuclear Penguins. (Really? No penguin emoticon?)

I just want to say how much I love/am scared of google. I typed in "tactical nuclear" into google, and it came up with the list of suggested completed search terms. Instead of "tactical nuclear weapon" being the first suggestion, "tactical nuclear penguin" came up first.

I think Utopias still holds the title for strongest beer. As I recall it is not fortified or been frozen to increase the alcohol. Once you do that you enter a new category.

(Really? No penguin emoticon?)

Poe%20penguin%20drinking.gif

Malt brandy - good name. I've had Utopias and it came across as a low-grade, watered-down scotch for about 10 times the price of good scotch.

MOD EDIT: Thread merged.

Those crazy sweaties, BrewDog, have just unveiled their latest brew,Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Unfortunately, the first batch seems to have sold out already, but there's another coming along. I'm intruiged to see what a beer of this gravity tastes like, but it's not exactly cheap!

I think Utopias still holds the title for strongest beer. As I recall it is not fortified or been frozen to increase the alcohol. Once you do that you enter a new category.
Exactly my thoughts, these guys just did this for all the attention. It's not the worlds strongest beer, it's just another gimmick from Brewdog. I guess you could call it "beer concentrate", just add water and carbonate to have something that actually tastes like beer.

Edit: Haha 1 Bottle Batch 2 Shipped to U.S.A. = $123. I hate Brewdog more by the day.

Exactly my thoughts, these guys just did this for all the attention. It's not the worlds strongest beer, it's just another gimmick from Brewdog. I guess you could call it "beer concentrate", just add water and carbonate to have something that actually tastes like beer.

Edit: Haha 1 Bottle Batch 2 Shipped to U.S.A. = $123. I hate Brewdog more by the day.

You hate them for doing something fun? Do you hate Dogfish Head and Stone, too? Seems like misplaced hatred to me.

You hate them for doing something fun? Do you hate Dogfish Head and Stone, too? Seems like misplaced hatred to me.
I hate them for capitalizing on gimmicky unbalanced disasters that they call beer. How do you not hate a brewery that freeze distills an average strength beer and thinks charging $50 for 330ml bottle of it is okay?

I hate them for capitalizing on gimmicky unbalanced disasters that they call beer. How do you not hate a brewery that freeze distills an average strength beer and thinks charging $50 for 330ml bottle of it is okay?

It sold out, so there's a market for it. You are obviously not the demographic. To be honest, I'm not going to buy a bottle of that beer either, but I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to try it. It took a lot of effort to make that beer, and with the storage costs and renting out a freezer like that, I guarantee it was not cheap to make.

And I've had several Brewdog beers that were terrible, but I've also had some that were super interesting and fun to try. They're not all hits, but they have an audience. However, it is nothing to hate.

That's for a preorder of one bottle of batch two directly from the brewery, not some spiked ebay price.

I know. the first run sold out, and they're working on the second. It will sell out, too. Sure, it isn't your everyday beer, and you could call it a gimmick all you want, but whatever. It isn't for you. I still don't get the hate.

Haha, I'm all about some of their Imperial stuff, but I think Mr. Koch can be a bit full of himself sometimes. Of course, that's what it takes to run a major brewery and make the mass public think it's some kind of craft brewing operation.

Sorry Will, but Boston Beer Company really is a craft brewing operation. They brew a crazy amount of beers, and even the ones I don't like so much are well brewed. They are the largest craft brewery, but only have about .5% of the market share for the states. The only difference between them and other similarly sized breweries like Sierra Nevada is they have tv ads.

On Topic: Someone was asking about beer bars in Philly with a crapload of bottles. There are several...Do any of these ring a bell Standard Tap, Monk's Cafe, Zot, Eulogy, Devils Den? I've asked breweries for a list of their Philadelphia accounts before and they're usually really helpful. BrewDog sells on their website, but it looks like TNP might be around $60/bottle.

Sorry Will, but Boston Beer Company really is a craft brewing operation. They brew a crazy amount of beers, and even the ones I don't like so much are well brewed. They are the largest craft brewery, but only have about .5% of the market share for the states. The only difference between them and other similarly sized breweries like Sierra Nevada is they have tv ads.

I would love to see some real numbers on how "crafty" they are. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I've never been somewhere without Sam Adams. I've sure been places that don't carry Sierra Nevada. Also, you like their Cherry Wheat? With all that syrupy goodness? You know that they throw fruit syrup in some of their beers? Again, that came off more offensive than I meant, but I don't really know how else to state it.

I definitely agree that the TNP is a gimicky beer, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to try it. 32% ABV? As long as it gets me drunk.... :rockin:

Latest posts

Back