Looking for a source of pear juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found this: Nature's Flavors : Pear Juice Concentrate - Vegan

A gallon of pear juice concentrate for $20. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I could even mix it to whatever gravity I want and hold some for backsweetening. If it is vegan then I won't have to worry about preservatives. It does say it needs to be shipped 2nd or 3rd day air to keep from spoiling. It doesn't say anything about the mixing rate, what is normal for juice concentrate?

edit: Shipping would cost like $70 on that. There is this though http://www.naturesflavors.com/produ.../6401?osCsid=f55338888e6f02a596ca784a9652ef63 that doesn't say it will spoil.

Is there another source out there that other people get their pear juice from that I might have overlooked?

Has anyone tried adding pear extract to cider?

Unless you can find it in gallon jugs at a mexican grocery, this is the only other one I have ever seen...

Pear+Nectar.jpg

I only know about this because in the winter I braise a porkloin in that stuff with about adozen garlic cloves and rosemary, then strain and reduce it to an awesome sauce. But it is spendy in that bottle size.

How many gallons of pear juice can you make with a gallon of that concentrate? If at 20 bucks you can get enough for a 5 gallon batch of peary or pearfelwein, then that's a great deal.

I was going to suggest a Mexican grocery, but Revvy beat me to it. They have juice from things that I didn't know had juice in them. :)

My past four batches have been back sweetened with pear concetrate. I bought the concetrate from a local cider maker Fox Barrel. You do need to add a little at a time. I use about 900ml in 5 gallon of cider.

I found this: Nature's Flavors : Pear Juice Concentrate - Vegan

A gallon of pear juice concentrate for $20. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I could even mix it to whatever gravity I want and hold some for backsweetening. If it is vegan then I won't have to worry about preservatives. It does say it needs to be shipped 2nd or 3rd day air to keep from spoiling. It doesn't say anything about the mixing rate, what is normal for juice concentrate?

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered some pear juice concentrate so I can make Birnenwein in accordance with EdWort's Apfelwein recipe.

I read on the site that most of Nature’s Flavors fruit juice concentrates can be diluted at approximately 1 part fruit juice concentrate to 3 parts water. As such, I ordered 1 gallon and 1 quart of pear juice concentrate, which should yield 5 gallons when all is said and done.

Fortunately, shipping is not too expensive for me. All in all, the batch of Birnenwein will cost me just over $40, just about $1.40 per 22 oz bottle.

Should be a worthwhile experiment. I have an Apfelwien about 1.5 weeks into fermentation. It'll be nice to compare them side by side in a few months.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing your results.

Another idea just hit me, since I bought a can of AJ concentrate to backsweeten my cider today: It might be practical/tasty to make a dry apple cider and backsweeten with pear juice concentrate, which would cut down on the expense.

I'll keep that in mind. Pears must be expensive, that would be the most I've ever spent on 5gallons of anything other than IIPA.

Back