Fruit Beer Purple Headed Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calitexcomin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP013 London Ale
Yeast Starter
1000 ml starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
36 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days, 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days, 68F
Tasting Notes
Chocolaty, coffee-like, lightly toasted blueberry porter.
I made this a couple of months ago for a competition - surprised to win gold in the fruit beer category. Don't usually go for fruit beers, but this is a beer first with fruit accents. Lots of compliments - though I'd share it. It's a porter base with blueberry to accent it.

For 5 gallons:

8.40 lb Pale Malt (2 Row UK)
0.80 lb Crystal Malt 40L
0.80 lb Chocolate Malt 450L
0.20 lb Rauchmalt (smoked malt)
0.20 lb Brown Malt
1.40 oz Fuggles (4.70% AA) 60 minutes
0.40 oz Fuggles (5.20% AA) 10 minutes
6.00 lb Blueberry Puree (Oregon)
1 pkg London Ale Yeast (WLP013) using 1000 ml starter

Mash at 152 for 45 minutes, batch sparge
Boil for 60 minutes
Primary: 7 days at 68F
Secondary: 10 days at 68F
Add blueberry puree during secondary fermentation
Keg to 2.4 volumes

It produced chocolate, coffee, lightly toasted notes with a very faint hop flavoring right after tapping the keg. The hop flavor faded quickly - might try bumping the hops up a touch. The blueberry accents, not dominates the flavor. If you try it, let me know how it works out.

Let me know how it works out. Won a gold medal with this recipe in the fruit beer category at a local competition.

old post, but does anyone know if these purees are just pureed fruit or do they have anything added, like sugar? i live in maine and can get my hands on plently of berries.

I believe they are berries only...no sugar. They are pasturized, rendering them bacteria free. I would definitely wait to add until the secondary fermentation so that the alcohol can protect the brew from micro organisms.

I'm assuming you're asking for a picture of the puree... It's worth the $$ to know it's safe and won't give any unexpected contributions to the finished product. It added a layer of depth and complexity to the beer - not sweet, but flavor and slight aroma.
prodinfo.asp

Looking for a little help here!!!!

I am very interested in making a blueberry porter or a blueberry blonde ale. I would prefer the porter but I have no objection to the blonde ale, I just think the porter would be way more interesting. I've read several forums and I can't seem to get a consensus on what I should do. I need the blueberry for specific brew, but I don't want it to taste like blueberry muffins, I don't want it to be too sweet. Just enough of the blueberry flavor to add that little something extra. Enough to notice, but not so much where it tastes like kool-aid.

Has anyone actually tried this recipe? How was it? I realize that it won a gold medal, but in the fruit beer category. Again, I don't want fruity, just a blueberry accent.

Any help or suggestions would be great!!!

The base of this beer is a porter, which is the dominant character. The blueberry is only an accent, which could be turned up or down depending on the desired flavor. As written, the blueberry was a complimentary flavor in the background. It was entered in the fruit beer category because once fruit's added, that's where it goes (unless it's part of the style like framboise or kriek). When using real blueberries it allows the true "blueberry" flavor to come through rather than sweetening it with an artificial. In the end, I thought it tasted like a chocolaty/roasty/nutty beer with blueberry hints; it wasn't overly heavy yet filling. Another option is to make the base recipe and try a few smaller secondary fermentation batches with differing amounts of blueberry and different types of blueberry to find what you like. Good luck and have fun experimenting.

I brewed this beer 6 weeks ago, except I used s-04 for the yeast and williamette for the hops. I transferred to the keg after 4 weeks. It is just starting to carb up and smooth out. The blueberry is definitely faint. I may squish them up a bit more next time. One question for the OP, how long does this beer take to reach its prime? After 4 weeks primary and 2 weeks cold conditioning in the keg, i still feel like it could use another week or two, personally.

The base of this beer is a porter, which is the dominant character. The blueberry is only an accent, which could be turned up or down depending on the desired flavor. As written, the blueberry was a complimentary flavor in the background. It was entered in the fruit beer category because once fruit's added, that's where it goes (unless it's part of the style like framboise or kriek). When using real blueberries it allows the true "blueberry" flavor to come through rather than sweetening it with an artificial. In the end, I thought it tasted like a chocolaty/roasty/nutty beer with blueberry hints; it wasn't overly heavy yet filling. Another option is to make the base recipe and try a few smaller secondary fermentation batches with differing amounts of blueberry and different types of blueberry to find what you like. Good luck and have fun experimenting.

Was looking specific for a blueberry beer without to much fruit flavor. Love porters can't wait to try this recipe may be my next brew

Designing Great Beers recommended 2lbs per gallon for blueberries, I guess he wasn't kidding. Better hints of blueberry than that nasty Wild Blue stuff, reminded me of Boone's Farm or Mad Dog, someone brought it in to work. First thing I noticed, no brewery name, it's InBev.

I know this thread is old, but for the guys using actual berries: make sure they have been frozen.

The freezing process breaks the cell walls and allows the release of more flavor. I use 6 lbs of fresh blueberries in my 5gal porter. I freeze the berries, then let them thaw in a ziplock. I smash them up as they are nearly thawed and add to 2ndary. Rack on top. Works every time.

I know this thread is old, but for the guys using actual berries: make sure they have been frozen.

The freezing process breaks the cell walls and allows the release of more flavor. I use 6 lbs of fresh blueberries in my 5gal porter. I freeze the berries, then let them thaw in a ziplock. I smash them up as they are nearly thawed and add to 2ndary. Rack on top. Works every time.

bumping this up to see if anyone has anything to add to this.

It's berry season in my neck of the woods and I'd like to take advantage with a blackberry stout, which raises certain questions:

- Is simply rinsing the freshly picked berries sufficient for sanitation, or do they need soap/cleaner of some form?
- Will freezing really enhance flavour, or detract from the fresh flavours in the final product?
- Is it best to puree raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. or leave them intact?
- How does one account for the berry sugars when estimating specific gravity?
- When to add the fresh berries? In the boil, at flame out, in the primary, in the secondary...

This happens to be my first post here - not quite what i'd thought it would be about, but these questions have been brewing for some weeks now while i've wandered through the boards. I would very much appreciate insights into brewing with berries from anyone with something to share. My aim is to brew this within the next few weeks and publish the recipe as I go.

phil

You can soak the fruit in vodka for a short period if you want to alleviate any concerns over nasties.

Add to the secondary, not the primary or flameout, especially if you don't soak in vodka. Beer in secondary has more alcohol and acidity so it will better fend off bacteria. Plus the fruit will have longer to sit and release flavor.

You sure can puree the blackberries, and there is no need to freeze if you do so. You could even bring said puree to pasteurization temp if you don't want to do the vodka soak. Hold at 150F for 8-10 minutes - no higher or you you will set the pectins in the fruit and get jam (which will give you a fruit haze in your beer)

You can soak the fruit in vodka for a short period if you want to alleviate any concerns over nasties.

Add to the secondary, not the primary or flameout, especially if you don't soak in vodka. Beer in secondary has more alcohol and acidity so it will better fend off bacteria. Plus the fruit will have longer to sit and release flavor.

You sure can puree the blackberries, and there is no need to freeze if you do so. You could even bring said puree to pasteurization temp if you don't want to do the vodka soak. Hold at 150F for 8-10 minutes - no higher or you you will set the pectins in the fruit and get jam (which will give you a fruit haze in your beer)

Very much appreciated Sir.

Back