Glass or Plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
:drunk:

I've heard it said, and read it too, that one should not yeast carbonate using glass bottles (as due to bottle bombs).

I'm wondering if anyone has documented the flavor differences that could occur in a batch using glass vs. using plastic (petn) bottles? Out of curiosity my friend and I both brew and I use the PETN bottles because of my budget and he uses glass because he is a soda snob.

Needless to say that he and I can brew pretty much identical batches using the same yeast packet, same water, same sugars, and same extracts. The only real noticeable difference will be in flavor. His glass bottled brew always tastes better than mine. The only thing we can come up with is that glass somehow yields a better taste because of maybe sanitization or some other unseen phenomenon.

Any insights or comments would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks,
KingPin

:drunk:

I've heard it said, and read it too, that one should not yeast carbonate using glass bottles (as due to bottle bombs).

I'm wondering if anyone has documented the flavor differences that could occur in a batch using glass vs. using plastic (petn) bottles? Out of curiosity my friend and I both brew and I use the PETN bottles because of my budget and he uses glass because he is a soda snob.

Needless to say that he and I can brew pretty much identical batches using the same yeast packet, same water, same sugars, and same extracts. The only real noticeable difference will be in flavor. His glass bottled brew always tastes better than mine. The only thing we can come up with is that glass somehow yields a better taste because of maybe sanitization or some other unseen phenomenon.

Any insights or comments would be greatly appreciated here.

Thanks,
KingPin

I dunno have you tried a double blind test? If you decent it into a glass I don't think I'd notice the difference. I've done both but not in the same batch.

sometimes i have notice that if water sits in a plastic bottle, after some time you can taste the pastic. i know thats water but maybe its the same for sodas....

Its possible that it could be flavors leeching from the plastic but the bottles have only ever been used for root beer. However, I cannot discount that but the flavor coming out isn't plastic.

I'm going to try again and this time bottle the same batch of brew into glass and PETN and see what happens. Worst case scenario I dump my PETN and go with glass bottles....................the flavor is that different to make me want to do that.

Back