First Boil Over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
Well, just had my first boil over on my 9th AG, 12th overall. Had 7 gallons pre-boil in my 8 gallon kettle. Added the 60 min hops and POOF, that she blows. Wasn't quite quick enough with the spray bottle. Oh well. Luckily for me I've recently relocated the brewery to the garage.

Yeah, boil overs can be pretty nasty..
I have Antifoam that I use for my starters but I didn't used it for boil overs though.. I am afraid it could affect foam stability (and I always decant top liquid from starters).

Don't fear the anti foam. I have used it in the boil kettle and in my fermenter. It has never affected my head retention. It dosnt dissolve so it just settles to the bottom of the fermenter and you rack the beer off of it. Greateststuff ever.

Well, just had my first boil over on my 9th AG, 12th overall. Had 7 gallons pre-boil in my 8 gallon kettle. Added the 60 min hops and POOF, that she blows. Wasn't quite quick enough with the spray bottle. Oh well. Luckily for me I've recently relocated the brewery to the garage.

Brett,
I'm on my first homebrew and hadn't thought of a boil over... What would you have put in a spray bottle to help?

Cold water in a spray bottle. Spray the foam when it starts foaming up. It will make it recede.

Add the hops before you get to a boil and it doesn't happen.

Back