Yooper Brewday this summer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to come up if it was another weekend. I'll have to check on the July date. Would be a bit of a drive, but I'd love to meet ya'll. I'd also be ok if we needed to push it out to September.

September would be better for me, actually. The thing is, the weather in September can be rather "iffy" around here.

I'd also be good with any other weekend in august, but don't plan it all around me, if everyone is good with the 6th, go for it. Maybe i can just stop by on my way up to visit friends in the eastern UP :)

I know Xiang is talking about coming, and of course us "locals". But Bob told me tonight he's inclined to cancel without a bigger turn out from people.

Wellllll, I only have one person that's not "local" (Tiber, you're sorta kinda local) that said "probably". I think the brewday is off, at least on that day.

Homercidal is coming this way in July, and I think SeaBee John is coming over this way also, but we don't have anything organized. Conpewter said he may be able to visit, and Azscoob is "iffy" too.

Everyone is invited at anytime, but if we want an organized day someone will have to give me a poke and tell me they're coming!

has any date been decided on? and would new comers(like me) be welcome to join the fun, being that im able to get my ass up there?

besides home brew to share, would you like people to bring any food, beverage or other with them?

besides home brew to share, would you like people to bring any food, beverage or other with them?

Yeah, that'd be fine if people want to. We're very easy going.

I think at this point it's off, just because Bob is starting to want to make other plans if we don't get much response. Our summer is filling up.

Everybody is always welcome, even if we don't have an official day. We always have cold beer for visitors!

well i guess i will PM you later on this summer if im able to come up. thank you for the open invitation. Id really like to meet other people who brew and it doesnt seem like there is as much of a hang out crowed in my area.

BTW you could count me in for the 6th if it does happen.

It looks like the only weekend day that we can do anything MAY be the 23rd of July. I was thinking we might start our trip on the previous Friday and get up near Yoops house that night, but it looks like I will be required to attend a benefit Golf Outing for the School Band Boosters. I'd rather just get up to the UP and start having fun, but the kids and the boosters need us (so "she" says). It will probably be fun.

Anyway, our trip is still not discussed much. I know that the wife wants to visit a college or two with Kim, but as far as I know there isn't any set date for that, so if we do make it a weekend visit, Yoop, it would be the 23rd I think.

If we can't make that, then any weekday is as good for us as another. I plan on visiting a couple of brewpubs up in da UP, especially up near CH. Maybe hit Chumley's on the way up.

I'm crossing my fingers we can do a small gathering at least on a Saturday.

Don't forget that if you're in Houghton on the weekend of the 23rd, you're welcome to stop by for some homebrews Homer. Not trying to steal you away from Yooper, but the offer is open if you find yourself with extra time.

TB

It looks like the only weekend day that we can do anything MAY be the 23rd of July. I was thinking we might start our trip on the previous Friday and get up near Yoops house that night, but it looks like I will be required to attend a benefit Golf Outing for the School Band Boosters. I'd rather just get up to the UP and start having fun, but the kids and the boosters need us (so "she" says). It will probably be fun.

Anyway, our trip is still not discussed much. I know that the wife wants to visit a college or two with Kim, but as far as I know there isn't any set date for that, so if we do make it a weekend visit, Yoop, it would be the 23rd I think.

If we can't make that, then any weekday is as good for us as another. I plan on visiting a couple of brewpubs up in da UP, especially up near CH. Maybe hit Chumley's on the way up.

I'm crossing my fingers we can do a small gathering at least on a Saturday.

The 23rd is fine for me. Any day that week, actually is fine for me. I know lschiavo can do weekdays as well. The following week I have to work on the 25th, 26th, and 29th. I get done by 4:30, so even that's not out it's just that I can't brew or anything on those days.

I assume when you do head over this way that you'd enjoy spending a night at the cottage? You're certainly welcome, especially if the weather is nice and you want to do some paddling.

Let me know when you go to the Vierling- I'd be up to visit. I've been promising Chumley I would come, and still haven't made it! I'd come up and have a beer and buy a growler, and go back home.

or..................if he's down here, YOU'RE welcome to come here! :D Especially if you bring your wonderful wife.

True, but then he'd have to figure out how to haul the kegerator! ;)

Well, I know what WEEK I am coming up. I guess I better really try and sit down with the calendar and the wife and discuss. I know it's a long trip, but maybe we can golf in the morning and still have time to get halfway across the UP before we crash uh... I mean, stay the night somewhere.

I got a feeling the wife is going to want to get on the road ASAP too. She loves to get away from work whenever it's possible and they are BUSY right now. I gotta figure out some way to get my cell phone internet on the computer (without paying for it) for the trip...

Well, I know what WEEK I am coming up. I guess I better really try and sit down with the calendar and the wife and discuss. I know it's a long trip, but maybe we can golf in the morning and still have time to get halfway across the UP before we crash uh... I mean, stay the night somewhere.

I got a feeling the wife is going to want to get on the road ASAP too. She loves to get away from work whenever it's possible and they are BUSY right now. I gotta figure out some way to get my cell phone internet on the computer (without paying for it) for the trip...

Oooooh, you're flattered because Tiber and I are fighting over you! I don't blame you. :D

If it's the week of the 17th, I'm available just about everyday as far as I know. The 17th itself is Qunn's birthday party so I'm busy that day. Although, I know Tara likes you guys and would probably invite you over also! Our whole life style is pretty laid back and we all have a "the more the merrier" outlook.

You can stay here, visit, stay at the cottage, come for dinner, etc, at any time. You're always welcome, and we don't often have commitments we can't change.

or..................if he's down here, YOU'RE welcome to come here! :D Especially if you bring your wonderful wife.

Now there's an idea! I could bring some growlers of homebrew. Hopefully we can work something out!

I guess we're giving the impression that yoopers are desperate for visitors. :D

TB

:off: what kind of phone do you have? If iphone or any of the android phones. Then there are many apps, some require root/jail breaking while others dont.

:off: what kind of phone do you have? If iphone or any of the android phones. Then there are many apps, some require root/jail breaking while others dont.

I'm looking at PDAnet, which for Android doesn't require rooting or jailbreaking. The Alltel store said we could sign up for tethering and only use it for the month, which would work if I can't get it for free.

Wow! Homer is addicted to internet? Who would have guessed? There is no signal in the UP anyway:D

I'm not addicted so much that the UP drag me away! I'm not saying I'm not addicted to HBT though.

My work would only call me in a severe emergency. My wife's work OTOH, would be hard pressed to be without her for very long.

Growlers would be fine for me! I must insist that I won't be pounding them down like last time though. I've learned my lesson! Really. ;)

well i would look into rooting your phone. root app for tether are much easier to use and unlike PDAnet the free versions dont have any restrictions. What phone do you have. Many are extremely simple to root while others can be hard.

If you have an HTC Droid you can tether one PC for free, and you don't have to download any apps. When you plug a USB cable to your PC, it will ask if you want to charge, mount as a drive, share connection, etc...

My phone is a Motorola Milestone X. The PDAnet is supposed to allowed tethering without usage monitor. So far I have not got it working.

I may look into rooting some day. Just seems like a waste of time since i really only make calls, read ebooks, and surf the web. What's the advantage in rooting it?

I did just get PDAnet working. So far it seems ok. The limitation is blocked secure sites, which is ok for a testing IMO. My wife will need this feature for using with her work's remote access I'm sure.

If you have an HTC Droid you can tether one PC for free, and you don't have to download any apps. When you plug a USB cable to your PC, it will ask if you want to charge, mount as a drive, share connection, etc...

I don't think this is true. According to our service plan, our HTC Droid Hero would cost $25 per month to tether. I have a friend who tried rooting that phone and was unsuccessful. He currently has a tethering plan on it and would love to drop it. He'd also like to make a hotspot out of it.

I don't think this is true. According to our service plan, our HTC Droid Hero would cost $25 per month to tether. I have a friend who tried rooting that phone and was unsuccessful. He currently has a tethering plan on it and would love to drop it. He'd also like to make a hotspot out of it.

I have the HTC Incredible, and I've done it a couple times. No additional charges, fees, or apps. I noticed that the first time I plugged a USB from my phone to my PC, the option to share connection came up, clicked (pressed) on that, and voila! Internet (3G) on my laptop. I know that you can pay a fee to wirelessly thether up to 5 PCs. That may be what you're referring to.

My wife has the Motorola Droid X, and could do wired thether to one PC by downloading an app that basically does the same as the built in feature of my HTC.

I'm sure this requires you to have unlimited data plan with Verizon, but I think you're required to have that with a Droid. I could be wrong...

TB

I'm pretty much free the 2nd half of July. Houghton for the 4th holiday weekend and possibly back up there the the weekend of the 8/9th.

I might go to another beer festival on Sat July 30th in Minocqua, WI (went there last year, and not too far from Eagle River). But otherwise, I'll be around.

My wife has the Motorola Droid X, and could do wired thether to one PC by downloading an app that basically does the same as the built in feature of my HTC.

I just installed the Auto Thether app on my droid. Won't work with XP but says it will with newer windows versions. Easy Tether was another recommended one.

Can a date be picked already? Those of us that are considering a fly-in need to get a confirmed date! :mug:

M_C

Sorry!

This is like herding cats, isn't it.

So for, I have no commitments (except for a couple of locals) so unless someone says, "Hey - this is IT!", we're not doing it.

Sorry!

This is like herding cats, isn't it.

So for, I have no commitments (except for a couple of locals) so unless someone says, "Hey - this is IT!", we're not doing it.

Yes, herding cats it is. I'd say post a poll and find the date that the most folks can go [including the host of course ;) ] and stick to that date. You want to get the most folks you can, but you can also accidentally alienate some. It's unfortunate mind you but that's the nature of the beast. :mug::cool:

M_C

Back