Brown Ale- Mash ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmlavoy

Reaction score
I'm doing a brown ale this weekend. It seems like it would be a nice beer for fall when I'm helping SWMBO winterize the garden. Low alcohol, not too hoppy, etc.

I haven't brewed one yet, so I was curious about how more experienced brewers would handle the mash, volume and temp-wise. My plan was an infusion mash with the sacch rest at 153 degrees. And since it's close to a pale ale in nature, I was thinking about a thicker mash, maybe at about 1.10 qts/lb. Does this sound about right?

I make brown ales all the time but I will do 1.33 per Qt. never had any problems and won a few comps with it.

I'm with Revy. I'd go for a higher mash temp for increased maltiness.

Depends on the OG. If he's making a 1.048 beer, yeah, go with the higher temp, but if it's starting at 1.060 go with the 153.

I'm going for a 1.044 OG. It seems, as I said, like this is a close cousin of Pale Ales, which traditionally are mashed thick. Also, low gravity, low IBU's.

I might up the temp a little, but I'll let you guys know how it works out in any case. Thanks for the input.

A stiffer mash gives similar results to higher mash temperatures: more unfermentables.*

*Your malt profile may vary.

Back