rhizome exchange (local)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Is anybody, who has older hops whilling to exchange or give away rhizomes? I was thinking about this once my hops are older. This way you can get lots of rhizomes for cheap/free and don't have to worry about the occasional dud.

There might be shipping regulation, so doing this locally would get around that.

Sorry if this has been brought up already.

Kai

A propos of this, what would be the best way to get rhizomes from existing hop plants? I have a Target and a Challenger plant, and next year I'd like to propagate additional plants from these if I can. It'd be good to have extra plants, and also to have extra rhizomes to pass on to other HBers. Does anyone know how that'd work?

Kai I would be interested for the future however our oldest hops were planted last year and they are not quite ready to disturb.

Danek said:
A propos of this, what would be the best way to get rhizomes from existing hop plants? I have a Target and a Challenger plant, and next year I'd like to propagate additional plants from these if I can. It'd be good to have extra plants, and also to have extra rhizomes to pass on to other HBers. Does anyone know how that'd work?

I'm sure someone must have already posted this, but:

According to Northern Brewer, all you need to do is bury a portion of the healthy lower vines in shallow trenchs at the fall harvest. You leave them attached to the underground roots. Mark the trenches with little flags (or stakes and string) to dig them up in early spring. Cut into segments, refrigerate in moist plastic ziplock and transplant to new location.

You do not need to disturb the root system of your existing plant to propogate new plants. :)

I will try this method.

In the past, I have simply dug up the shoots and a portion of the root to transplant. I have had good success with that.

I have also rooted clippings.

If anyone wants Centennial, Saaz or Zeus or Willamette next year, I am in the Denver area. I will give them to you if you drop me a line.

I will try this method.

In the past, I have simply dug up the shoots and a portion of the root to transplant. I have had good success with that.

I have also rooted clippings.

If anyone wants Centennial, Saaz or Zeus or Willamette next year, I am in the Denver area. I will give them to you if you drop me a line.

I've got Cascade, Kent Golding, Brewers Gold and Northern Brewer. I'd be interested to swap whenever you are.

Next year, I will have a ton of Hallertau, Cascade, Willamette and I think Centennial. My friend gave away two bags of rhizomes this year that had to weigh 3 lbs each!

We should start a thread for trading rhizomes early next year.

I may be interested in this for next season. As for myself I have Mt. Hood and Cascade so I'm not sure they will produce rhizomes this year, but if they do I'd be willing to swap

Back