Beer brewing for the meme generation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imbibehour

Reaction score
Thought i'd post this here, since I haven't really done my own brew since well... way back when I helped my dad... when I was .. young.

Things have changed.

Either way, things turned out real well so far can't wait to drink this in 2 weeks.

Homebrewtalk.com has been very helpful with old and new threads and techniques to read up on. Also there is a recipe on here that I plan on making next as long as this beer turns out nicely.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny! Strain it don't strain it. OK, I did laugh. More than once.

But a little manic. I was thinking TSA. Oooof.

OK, sorry for that, shouldn't compare anyone to TSA.

I'm still watching, laughed some more.

"It's a flower."

Your bottling process needs help. Fer sure.

"I don't like using a hydrometer that much." hah.

OK, video done. I liked it. Great job. Can't wait to see the follow up in 2 wks.

I made this as a parody for the soundbite younger generation who doesn't really have time to wait, or figure things out by taking their time.

None of my existing videos are like this, but this one is filled with lots of jump cut editing, sound bites, and beer memes as much as I could.

I can't make something like this again, it took me far too long in terms of editing and work. The dancing cut out guy is a reference to the beer geek videos on Vimeo. Took me forever to figure out that longer than it was to understand some brewing techniques.

Want to thank the old threads and data that is on here at homebrewtalk.com it was very helpful.

I think your video was funnier in some ways than the geek guy. You displayed a real talent for this sort of thing. Not forced & contrary like TSA.

Take Some Advice,he used to be a member here till he got das boot. He's still on youtrub though. Just remember the eye bleach when watching him...

I hope you don't give up your day job as the village bafoon. The vid was quite funny. However, it lacked in originality and theater. Even, so, I was about to commit suicide, until I saw your vid....Thanks Man.............I have down loaded and made a copy of the vid. I'll take it to Therapy tomorrow. The whack jobs will get a kick out of it. Although, they will have no idea what the frig you're talking about. They will, somehow, tie it into some part of their meaningliness lives. When things go weird, the weird turn pro...Keep up the good work!!

Yours sincerely;

All of us at Belview University.

In a way I really hate this, but that's because I really really love it.

*nice* touch of the meme.

(Didn't show the hardest part... getting those beers into bottles. I just bottled last night and I swear there were moments I was positive I was going to drop the siphon and spray my wall and ceilings...)

HAHA. I like your fermentation sequence. "Is it ok? IT'S OK! Is it fermenting? Is it infected!? It's not infected... well maybe..."

That is probably my favorite brew day video ever. I like it, very much.

Goofy, funny and awesome. That hit the spot on a lazy Sunday in PHX!

Thanks and hope the brew turns out good!

HAHA. I like your fermentation sequence. "Is it ok? IT'S OK! Is it fermenting? Is it infected!? It's not infected... well maybe..."

That is probably my favorite brew day video ever. I like it, very much.

This is basically the war I have inside my head on a daily basis...

Great vid! Watched on tablet with headphones and kept getting weird looks from SWMBO....

Nice vid, man. I appreciate the obvious love that went into it.
Very funny, too. You have sort of a Chris Elliott / Louis C.K. thing working for you.
What would make it even better would be to have a post-script with you enjoying/evaluating the finished product.

@Woozy: Richard "Blind Watchmaker" Dawkins coined the term "meme"? You are blowing my mind.

@Woozy: Richard "Blind Watchmaker" Dawkins coined the term "meme"? You are blowing my mind.

Of course. In the selfish gene. Um, why does this blow your mind?

I heard an interview on NPR where a guest explained this to the host and the host said "wow, I never would have expected that. I'm totally blown away."

I have to wonder what did she think the term "meme" meant and where did she think the term came from?

Well, it blows my mind because I read both of those books in college but somehow never retained the 'meme' reference.

Presumably, it would have been in reference to something to do with genetics and not at all what its been appropriated for on the internet nowadays?

Nice vid, man. I appreciate the obvious love that went into it.
Very funny, too. You have sort of a Chris Elliott / Louis C.K. thing working for you.
What would make it even better would be to have a post-script with you enjoying/evaluating the finished product.

I mention that in the video, I will be doing a review in about a week from now.

I actually inspected the bottles and I am noticing now some sediment starting to form in the bottom which is a great sign, so I am very excited. It is going to be very hard for me to NOT open up this beer this weekend since it will only have been a week since I bottled it. :mug:

Presumably, it would have been in reference to something to do with genetics and not at all what its been appropriated for on the internet nowadays?
No, it was precisely what has been appropriated on the internet nowadays. Dawkins had jokes, urban legends, rumors, etc. in mind and saw how they spread, replicated, and mutated in ways similar to biology. (And, why not? At its roots Natural Selection is statistics and niche exploitation, something not exclusive to biology. Dawkins was *not* the first to have this idea.) Linguists and information scientists had studied language and meaning and had terms "phonemes" and "menemes" for fundamental units of information. A phoneme is a unit of sound that carries information and a meneme is a basic unit of meaning. Dawkins suggested the term "meme" to refer to a piece of reproductive information; the information science's equivalent to biology's "gene".

Now computers and Internet geeks *love* the concept of information systems of organic pseudo-biological systems (except for those who instead love the idea of biology as stochatic pseudo-informational systems). Why do you think we call it a computer *virus* instead of a ... well, dang virus is *such* an apt term I can't even *conceive* of a non-biological alternative. So early internet social geeks immediately saw the joke of the day email lists and said "That's *exactly* what Dawkins was talking about! That's a meme, that is; yessiree bob! That's a good old meme and its got legs on it!"

Who came up with the word "gene" anyway?

Thanks Woozy. Interesting stuff.

I think the genetic comparison ultimately falls a little short though. These GIFs or JPEGs that float around (a cat with bulgy eyes, a doodle, what have you) with a short message on them are static files. If someone appropriates it, they would most likely keep the file unchanged. Essentially, these things propagate, but don't evolve (in that sense, 'viral video' works a little better for me). And if someone does alter the meme, its with a specific intent (not spontaeous mutation with the most popular random changes surviving). In this respect, I think the old childrens "telephone" game of passing a message from person to person to see what sort of 'mistakes' spring up is more in keeping with the spirit of evolution.

And I know things aren't always named according to correct science.... merely an observation. I just get a kick out of imagining Richard Dawkins seeing his ideas applied to a 'grumpy cat' JPEG with the caption "I hate Mondays" or some such inanity. (BTW - my favorite meme is the Sean Bean/Boromir "One does not simply...")

Who coined "gene"? I dunno. I would assume it comes from 'genetic,' which would have the same etymologic origin of 'genesis,' alluding to genes as the source of an organism's characteristics? If you made me guess..... Gregor Mendel? Maybe he coined it for his pea pods. Are you an evolutionary biology major or something, Woozy?

Back