Sanitizing bottles....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
Just a quick question, guess I am being lazy....

If you had acess to a commercial dishwasher with a sanitizing cycle, would you use it on your bottles or any other equipment?

Yes I have unlimited access to one and a complete commercial kitchen.

Yes, as long as there is no rinse agent being used. Any residue left in the bottles would kill head retention. I seem to remember from my younger days in a kitchen that those are mainly using heat/steam for sanitizing, that and the really nasty soap that they use for cleaning... so I would think you would be fine, but you will know best, as you know how the washer is set up.

Well, I can use whatever cleaning/sanitizing agents I wanted.

If it sanitizes from steam, I should be ok.

I can run it without soap as well.

There is also a mondo stove, with some serious burners, huge kettles...ect.

I am thinking about brewing there simply for the space is would provide.

Thanks, Doc.

heat sanitizing is what you want from the dishwasher. if its using steam, then it should be fine.

bottles don't end up with much liquid shooting into them in a dishwasher anyways.

NTOLERANCE said:
I am thinking about brewing there simply for the space is would provide.

It sounds like this is a restaurant or other place of business? You may want to be careful, brewing at a commercial establishment. Not that your intentions are dishonorable, but I can imagine some ABC man with a stick up his a$$, deciding that you are violating a law because you don't have a license.

Warped04 said:
It sounds like this is a restaurant or other place of business? You may want to be careful, brewing at a commercial establishment. Not that your intentions are dishonorable, but I can imagine some ABC man with a stick up his a$$, deciding that you are violating a law because you don't have a license.

Good thought. But its not a restaurant or bar or anything like that. Its a prvate preschool, where I do maintenance at.

NTOLERANCE said:
Good thought. But its not a restaurant or bar or anything like that. Its a prvate preschool, where I do maintenance at.

That has me laughing , I guess it's early in the Am, ......yeah you should be just fine............. at a preschool ;)

no offense intended:ban:

Sounds like you've got a good little thing going. The only thing that might be a p.i.t.a. is transporting the wort when you're finished. Good luck

I think that would work fine. Steam is a great sanitizer.

I probably over clean/sanitize. My process is:

1) After pouring, rinse out sediment and set aside.
2) When I have 12 bottles, fill sink, add oxyclean, soak overnight.
3) Put in dishwasher with Heated Dry
4) Store until ready to bottle
5) Prior to using, i soak them in Star San.

NTOLERANCE said:

That is kind of funny sounding. Still I wouldn't advertise it. See your a$$ on the news. Man arrested for having a brewery at a preschool. Gettting hauled away your yelling "I was just sanatizing my bottles." Oh it makes me giggle inside.

Wort is different than beer...
You can cook anywhere, but I don't know if I'd risk pitching there.

Actually, I probably would, but I wouldn't tell you to do it;)

Back