Converting a Corny keg to a hop back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in the market for an upgrade from my current hop back made from a Stainless steel water filter housing. The big problem with it is it requiers to be purged of air to start the flow of wort through it. It has a screw valve like on a pool filter, so it is messy and a little dangerous, because once the air is purged hot wort sprays ou the valve till it gets closed. Also I can only fit about 4-6 oz of whole hops.

Looking through all the crap I have accumulated over the years, I was looking a an old corny keg that is dented in the rim and cant seat the o-ring on the lid well enough to hold pressure. I thought that It might make a great hop back for 10-20 gallon batches.

Any thoughts on this? experience?

My plan it so put in a false bottom and a dip tube through the side wall for the out, and have an inlet with a short length of ss tubing that will allow for the wort to be poured over the center of the hops in the keg. As well Ill put a valve on the gas in-let of the keg to relive the pressure of the wort coming in to the keg. I fugue I can get at least 1-2lb of whole hops into it.

For a 3-15BBL brewery, A corny keg would make a good hopback, but for a 1/2bbl brewery, I think it's too big. See if you can find a dented/busted 2.5-3gallon corny. That might be a better size.

For a 3-15BBL brewery, A corny keg would make a good hopback, but for a 1/2bbl brewery, I think it's too big. See if you can find a dented/busted 2.5-3gallon corny. That might be a better size.

I have a 1BBL brewery and use a 1/2 gallon container...

The Stainless growler might work well if you were to solder on the fittings, but the opening is a little small so It might be a PITA to clean.

Sorry for the seemingly stupid question, but how would you go about using the keg as a hopback?
Thanks.

Sorry for the seemingly stupid question, but how would you go about using the keg as a hopback?
Thanks.

From the top of the post.

My plan it so put in a false bottom and a dip tube through the side wall for the out, and have an inlet with a short length of ss tubing that will allow for the wort to be poured over the center of the hops in the keg. As well Ill put a valve on the gas in-let of the keg to relive the pressure of the wort coming in to the keg. I fugue I can get at least 1-2lb of whole hops into it.

Latest posts

Back