From Concentrate Vs. NOT from Concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
Hello!
I've got my first batch of cider in a primary for well over 3 weeks now. It's just a small batch of 2 gallons. I had gotten my juice from one of the big box stores, in the 1 gallon dual pack, and it was the stuff from concentrate. When I was at the store again, right next to the concentrated(what I purchased) I noticed the house brand of juice was NOT from concentrate.
Both indicated they were pastuerized. So, is one superior over the other in quality of the way the cider will turn out? Should I have gotten the NON-concentrated stuff? I reckon I'll be fine, being that it is my first time & all.
Any thoughts?

If you are talking about Costco, which carries Tree Top (from concentrate) and Kirkland (not from concentrate), I have done both several times (about 5x 5-gallon batches of each) over the last year.

If I had to pick, I'd say not from concentrate is what I personally like better - the plain juice just tastes better to me - and I think of brewing cider like cooking with wine.... Don't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink, so don't brew a juice you wouldn't drink either. In all reality though, I don't think there is a huge difference. I haven't noticed a big jump in cider quality until you jump up to expensive fresh-pressed orchard type juice.

In the end - brew your cider with what you got, drink it, then buy the other kind next time, drink that, then decide for yourself. And enjoy the experiments in the meantime!

Not from concentrate juice tends to vary a bit more in flavor and gravity then juice from concentrate. It isn't a big difference, but I personally like the differences you get from the not from concentrate juice that is available at different times of the year.

Back