Adding fruit puree to the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwburch

Reaction score
So i am basically trying to see if I messed up this batch, first time using puree. I added a can of red raspberry puree to my maple syrup dark ale and the puree quickly sank to the bottom. Should the puree eventually dissolve, and what type of activity should I be looking for?

It's fine, it should eventually start some new fermentation due to the sugar in the fruit. You'll get the flavor and aroma of the berries. Let it sit for a few weeks.

VaBrewer said:
It's fine, it should eventually start some new fermentation due to the sugar in the fruit. You'll get the flavor and aroma of the berries. Let it sit for a few weeks.

Also depending on the size of your batch and size of your can that one can might have been to little of an amount to get any great taste from it.
I just bottled a blueberry wheat and it took 4 lbs of fruit to get a nice color and hint of blueberry smell and taste.

All and all I don't think you messed anything up ..

Good luck and keep us updated of how it comes out

hey thanks. i'm curious if i should do anything else to the batch, and what would be a good indicator it is time to bottle. as of today a nice raspberry smell comes from the airlock and there is about 2 inches of sediment on the bottom of my 5 gallon carboy with slight activity, the airlock only bubbling about once every minuet or two. about 1 day after i poured the can of puree into the carboy there was quite a lot of activity, so much in fact i had to pour out roughly a pint to keep the brew from overflowing the carboy. the really rapid fermentation lasted for about 3 days before it slowed to a nice steady rate, with the airlock bubbling once every 6 to 8 seconds.

I also let it sit for a week or so after the bubbling stops ..so i would say two weeks from the time you poured the puree

This batch came out very well with strong maple syrup and raspberry tastes. when i try this recipe again i'm probably going to opt for blueberry instead of raspberry. my only serious complaint with this batch was that when i opened a bottle and poured it out into a glass, it was extremely over carbonated and made it inconvenient to drink. What measures can i take to ensure reasonable carbonation?

Back