Keezer build white to black question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMMM

Reaction score
I am building a 14.8 cf with 10 inch collar and painting it from white to black. how do I get a good looking gasket? I would love to be able to keep the gasket that came with the freezer. I like how thick it is but don't want to see the white. I hear you can not paint it. I researched to buy a black gasket specifically for freezers and they are $100 so that's out. Weather stripping is so thin in comparison and I'm not finding black, only grey. Any ideas?

Here is an idea. You could design it so the gaskets are hidden by the collar with some trim or molding of your choice. If anything it will also add some character to the design.

That's what I did... I have a piece that is 2" taller than my collar and sets 3/16" out from the collar (piece of thin ply works perfectly as a standoff... Keeps the lid from hanging up as it closes)

The trim covers the collar (fairly ugly itself) and the gasket/lid edge...

That's what I did... I have a piece that is 2" taller than my collar and sets 3/16" out from the collar (piece of thin ply works perfectly as a standoff... Keeps the lid from hanging up as it closes)

The trim covers the collar (fairly ugly itself) and the gasket/lid edge...

I can't picture that. how would you open it if the front and sides of the lid are covered? Can you post pics of yours?

The trim is either attached to the collar and overhangs the body of the freezer when you shut it or it is attached to the freezer and the collar sits inside of it when it is closed.

I attached my trim to the collar and lid (two sets of hinges).

Look close (pictures weren't taken to illustrate this. . . :D ) and you can see that the larger 1x6 is just a facade (even though it does hold the taps) - the collar itself is 2x4's. It's a 2x4 plus 1/4" plywood strip (as a spacer) plus the 1x6 facade. It overlaps the lid by about 1" and the lid sits inside the facade, but on top of the collar.
IMG_8823.JPG

IMG_8824.JPG

I had used plasti-dip on mine. Its the stuff you use to put ruberized handles on hand tools. It worked great, stayed flexible, and still sealed well. They sell it in spray cans for about $6 at Home Depot.

billmo said:
I had used plasti-dip on mine. Its the stuff you use to put ruberized handles on hand tools. It worked great, stayed flexible, and still sealed well. They sell it in spray cans for about $6 at Home Depot.

Plasti-dip? So you use this to spray the gasket black and it works?

Plasti dip is great stuff. Watched a guy on an f150 forum do his whole truck with it.

Look close (pictures weren't taken to illustrate this. . . :D ) and you can see that the larger 1x6 is just a facade (even though it does hold the taps) - the collar itself is 2x4's. It's a 2x4 plus 1/4" plywood strip (as a spacer) plus the 1x6 facade. It overlaps the lid by about 1" and the lid sits inside the facade, but on top of the collar.
IMG_8823.JPG

IMG_8824.JPG

Thanks for posting pictures. It's really nice. My brother is in the process of making one with a similar collar. I'll post pics once the gasket is painted with Plasti-dip. I bought the Plastidip yesterday. I really think this stuff will adhere to the gasket nicely.

Latest posts

Back