Do you ever want to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
When you read a thread titled like "Pitched at 75! Did I ruin my batch?" or "Forgot Irish Moss! Dump beer?"

Do you ever just want to comment without reading:

YES, sorry. Ruined.

I do, but then I'd make sure they knew it was a joke...I guess I'm evil...

As sarcastic as I am, I don't get those urges... but after the umpteenth thread in one week complaining about funky flavor after 5 days in bottles (or directly out of the fermenter), I do occasioanlly want to ask if the poster has ever read ANYTHING about brewing beer.

But that's why there is a beginner forum, and if I can't answer nicely, I close the thread and let Revvy get them all. :D

I'm not acting high and mighty, it's just that you read so many of those headlines and it makes the evil side of me want to, just for a second, say "Yep, ruined." then let-on that I'm joking. That's how I am with friends and such, I guess. I like to josh around, but not too severe.

Basically the really general ones too like, "How much malt do I need?"

I want to respond:

A LOT.

Then leave the thread. I'm just a smart-ass.

I like the threads about, "I baked my Carboy in the oven at 500 degrees for 3 days (sorry, my oven won't go any higher), do you think that will sterilize it enough to use or should I just bite the bullet and get some concentrated hydrochloric acid and dip it? Wait, how about a plasma cutter? Is that enough to kill bacteria? Should my Carboy be glowing and starting to melt?".

Unfortunately, I think it is the nature of my (I'm 27) and subsequent generations. We grew up with the internet; never needing to use books to find information. In our eyes it is easier to ask simple questions about everything and wait a few hours for responses than spending 10 mins actually searching.

Edit: Just read my post and want to make it absolutely clear I don't condone this behavior! Take some responsibility and find the information yourself:)

I just still have never figured out why is it that "dumping beer" especially without even knowing if anything is wrong, so prevalent in the mindset of new brewers? It seems to be the knee jerk reaction to every little thing, perceived or otherwise that could go wrong. Is it because we live in such a disposable society, so that things don't really matter, even if they involve time, effort and money to put together? Or is it that new brewers think what they're making is one step away from toxic and therefore a mistake so they think they need to get rid of it?

Maybe it's cause I'm older or something, I just can't see just willy nilly think I need to just scrap something I've put the slightest bit of effort into.

Like my Keezer build for example, I've already got close to a grand into it, and I made a mistake on one of the collar boards, in where I cut a hole, for the power outlet on the back. Rather than scrapping the board, I broke out the woodglue and the piece I cut out, mending plates to hold the piece together while the glue dried and some wood putty. And it looks and feels like there was never a hole cut out. I didn't have to go out and by another 2x8 just to cut one piece of wood out. If it were the front I might have replaced it. But I figured since it's the back side if this worked then I was ahead of the game.

I tell them. "yes, you need to dump it, but let me do it. I have a beer dumping recycler at home, and can take care of that for you." /innocent whistle

How else would newer members of HBT get our post count up (to make it look like we know what we are doing) if we don't respond to all of these!?

I just still have never figured out why is it that "dumping beer" especially without even knowing if anything is wrong, so prevalent in the mindset of new brewers? It seems to be the knee jerk reaction to every little thing, perceived or otherwise that could go wrong. Is it because we live in such a disposable society, so that things don't really matter, even if they involve time, effort and money to put together? Or is it that new brewers think what they're making is one step away from toxic and therefore a mistake so they think they need to get rid of it?

Maybe it's cause I'm older or something, I just can't see just willy nilly think I need to just scrap something I've put the slightest bit of effort into.

Like my Keezer build for example, I've already got close to a grand into it, and I made a mistake on one of the collar boards, in where I cut a hole, for the power outlet on the back. Rather than scrapping the board, I broke out the woodglue and the piece I cut out, mending plates to hold the piece together while the glue dried and some wood putty. And it looks and feels like there was never a hole cut out. I didn't have to go out and by another 2x8 just to cut one piece of wood out. If it were the front I might have replaced it. But I figured since it's the back side if this worked then I was ahead of the game.

I'm with you, here. Why on earth would you dump it?

The other one that kills me is the recent rash of "I think messed something up. I know that I'm a total noob, but I'm now doing the following nonsensical things to my beer in the fermenter. Will this fix my original imagined problem?" type posts. GLLAAARRRBLBLBLBBBAAARGH!!!!

I really wish I could have been the first reply to this thread. I would have replies with "Yeah. Ruined."

I guess I'm an exaggerationist (new word?). When my kids get a tiny cut I'm always like, "Let's go to the hospital. You know, they MIGHT have to cut it off at this point." Of course, they know I'm joking...I wouldn't ever make them cry or upset. I DO love the hell out of them...but I also like to mess with people. So when I see the posts I just want to respond with a short answer to just the title, without reading the post.

But I don't.

You could devise a mandatory quiz at the end of registration that forces people to read the FAQ section before allowing them to post a new thread. Maybe throw in a "This is how you execute a search" demo just to be safe :D

I guess I'm an exaggerationist (new word?). When my kids get a tiny cut I'm always like, "Let's go to the hospital. You know, they MIGHT have to cut it off at this point."

Yeah, okay, I do this to my significantly younger cousins... which really freaks them out, because, well, I'm a doctor and they think I'm serious.

:D

Seriously though, I brewed an Oatmeal Stout this weekend, brew day went great, I dumped into my ale pale and set in my swamp cooler, aerated and pitched yeast around 65*. My Beer went from 1.064 down to 1.020 in 3 days -- I saw a pretty ugly looking krausen when I took the gravity reading so I got a little nervous and then while the lid was off my dog took a s*** out back, do you think my beer is ruined? I saw one of you mentioned a bad beer recycler, I think you might need to swing by my house, I am willing to pay a reasonable price.

Seriously though, I brewed an Oatmeal Stout this weekend, brew day went great, I dumped into my ale pale and set in my swamp cooler, aerated and pitched yeast around 65*. My Beer went from 1.064 down to 1.020 in 3 days -- I saw a pretty ugly looking krausen when I took the gravity reading so I got a little nervous and then while the lid was off my dog took a s*** out back, do you think my beer is ruined? I saw one of you mentioned a bad beer recycler, I think you might need to swing by my house, I am willing to pay a reasonable price.

Oh yeah... I don't charge much for beer recycling.:D

Your dog took a dump IN the beer, or just unrelated note?

Back