South Texas Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm5k00

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops. I read that they don't grow well below the 35th parallel, but I'm on the 29th (Cibolo, TX) and they seem to be doing fine so far. I'm just north of San Antonio, and after reading through EdWort's trials and tribulations of growing hops at the 30th parallel I wasn't sure how id fare, but i wanted to create a new thread for anyone else in the area and see how everything is working out for us down south.

The Garden was planted on March 25th 2011. i dug 8 holes about 1' deep and used a mix of the existing soil and cow manure, rhizomes were planted 2-3 inches down. i did not build up a mound as they are already planted on a slight grade. wood stakes with a hole drilled near the top for 1/4" rope that attaches to eye hooks in the fascia of the house.

I have (in order of front of the house to the back)

2 Nugget, 2 Chinook, 1 Cascade, 1 Centennial, 2 Sterling

March 31st

The beginning
2011-03-31190822.jpg

Nugget
2011-04-01103628.jpg

Sterling
2011-04-01103135.jpg

Sterling close up
2011-03-31190755.jpg

And pics from today

Nugget
2011-05-13155522.jpg

Chinook (the one on the right is 7' tall)
2011-05-13155508.jpg

Cascade and Centennial
2011-05-13155455.jpg

Sterling on the far right
2011-05-13155403.jpg

other view
2011-05-13155532.jpg

The Sterling are the slowest growing even thought they were one of the first to shoot up, they both had 3 or 4 vines, but i recently pruned them back to 1 or 2 per plant to make them grow quicker. They all get at least 4 hours of direct sun, that is until the the neighbors house's shadow get to the base of the hops, but they will get almost 7 as the reach the top of the ropes. Also I am planning on running more rope down from the eye hooks so the vines ( i don't like calling them bines) can grow back down to the ground and hopefully reach up to 18' in length.

Glad to see another fellow south/central Texas hops grower! I think the limited sun will help them with the coming hot summer temps. Keep us updated on which varieties do best.

I've got first year Wilamette, Mt Hood, Cascade, Nugget, and Centennial in planters here in Austin. So far the Cascade and Nugget seem to be doing the best with both producing hop cones already. Centennial not far behind. Still to early for any verdict. I've got a thread going here as well.

Good luck and I'll stay tuned!

This is my first year growing hops. I read that they don't grow well below the 35th parallel, but I'm on the 29th (Cibolo, TX) and they seem to be doing fine so far....

My understanding is that they grow just fine further South, but may not flower due to the length of day not being long enough.

I read elsewhere where folks are growing hops in Africa, and they use halogen lights at night to induce flowering. Through selective breeding, they even came up with their own cultivar that would flower naturally down there.

My understanding is that they grow just fine further South, but may not flower due to the length of day not being long enough.

I haven't heard that before about the flowering.... I have what i think are the start of cones on 3 or 4 of the plants. will post a pic soon.

They all survived,I made sure to water them everyday, and they don't get direct sunlight till about noon, so that helped. The Nugget, Cascade, and Chinook did the best, giving me about 1/2 oz dried weight of hops per plant, the Sterling never got above 2', and the Centennial stopped at 4'.

All plants survived the winter and are growing again, I also planted 1 more Cascade, 2 Columbus, and 2 Summit. I'm in the process of getting 2 crowns of wild Hops from another member on this forum also.

They all survived,I made sure to water them everyday, and they don't get direct sunlight till about noon, so that helped. The Nugget, Cascade, and Chinook did the best, giving me about 1/2 oz dried weight of hops per plant, the Sterling never got above 2', and the Centennial stopped at 4'.

All plants survived the winter and are growing again, I also planted 1 more Cascade, 2 Columbus, and 2 Summit. I'm in the process of getting 2 crowns of wild Hops from another member on this forum also.

Good to hear. I will see some 100+ days in July for sure. I'm thinking of building a misting system.

Good luck. Looks good so far. I just got my rhizomes planted yesterday. I hope I get to show them off soon. I mixed up garden soil, peat moss, and vermic-whateveritscalled into a few 10 gallon containers.

So i ripped up the Sterlings as they did horrible last year, they had bad root rot so it's probably for the best. I put in wild hops from Wisconsin in their place. I also moved the Centennial to a new spot and put another Cascade in it's place.

Also I strung Smaller rope (twine) between the like varieties to let them grow between 18-22' before they run out of room, height is dependent on how far apart the rhizomes are planted.

Columbus
Columbus.jpg

Summit
Summit.jpg

Wild Wisconsin Hops
Wild_Hops.jpg

Cascade
Cascade.jpg

Chinook
Chinook.jpg

Nugget
Nugget.jpg

Centennial in front with side view of house
Side.jpg

Another update, The Cascade is going crazy, and Nugget and Chinook are not far behind. Only one Summit has come up, and the Columbus are slow to grow.

CENTENNIAL
Centennial.jpg

NUGGET
Nugget.jpg

CHINOOK
Chinook.jpg

CASCADE
Cascade.jpg

WILD HOPS
Wild.jpg

SUMMIT
Summit.jpg

COLUMBUS
Columbus.jpg

Another set of pics, from today 5/3/12

Cascade has cones, and Chinook has cones big enough to harvest already :ban:

Centennial and Nugget
cent_and_nugget.jpg

Chinook
chinook.jpg

Cascade
Cascade.jpg

Wild
wild.jpg

Summit and Sterling(in the bucket)
Summit_and_Sterling.jpg

Columbus
Columbus.jpg

I'd roundup and mulch around the plants to choke out the bermuda/ kikuyu that will steal nutrients and root space..

Update: we finally had some rain and it helped the centennial and wild hops to final start getting some vertical growth. Also had a small harvest from the Cascade and Chinook already.

Centennial on left Nugget on right:

ForumRunner_20120731_154728.jpg

Chinook:

ForumRunner_20120731_154944.jpg

Cascade: 2nd year on left 1sr year on right.

ForumRunner_20120731_155034.jpg

Wild hops:

ForumRunner_20120731_155143.jpg

I had 1st year Summits, Columbus, and MT Hoods in the back yard but SWMBO forgot to water them for me while I was gone for a week due to work and they all died =/

How is this year's crop doing? I live in North central SA and have been researching if hop plants would fair well in this area.

I am in the middle of moving (only a few miles away) and they had to be dug up and have been potted for about 2 months now. Unfortunately a few have died, but I still have my Cascade, Chinook, Nugget, and Wild Hops alive and doing well. My Centennial never grew very well and the other varities wernt growing to well either, but I am often away from home for work and they dont get as much attention as they need.

I also live in north central SA. I planted cascade hope for the first time this year. I had some good growth but all of the plants were attacked by spider mites. Does anyone know if it is too late in the year for more cones to produce?

Thanks for the reply. I think I may try planting a cascade to see how it handles the soil.
Have you tried diatomaceous earth around the base of the plants? That may keep some bugs away.

I have not tried that. At first I tried all natural (soap and water) with no luck. Then I went full blown chemical. I used sevens pesticide. The mites would always look dead and gone, but in a few weeks would come back. I have recently bought something made specifically for killing spider mites. Hopefully this works.

Mites eggs are tough. Sprays may not kill them. You might need to spray several times to make sure the young spider mites do not grow up to lay eggs that restart the cycle. The product guide should tell you at what intervals to spray.

I believe neem oil works too.

I also live in Houston and just ordered some cascade to plant. I will start small with just two plants in planters. I would really like to take this first year as an opportunity to learn how the plants react to the location, heat, and planting style. I have about a 50' run of 7' tall privacy fencing along one side of my home. I plan on setting up lines up then across the fence but not actually directly on the fence. I will post a photo soon because that is easier than description. I am thinking that because it is so hot here during the summer this may keep some of the heat off the fence planks from touching the vines directly. I guess we will soon see how this idea works.

Back