Small Amount of Sanitizer in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squad83

Reaction score
A couple of quick questions -

I Bottled a 1 gallon batch of beer today and bottled accordingly,but, while starting the siphon to kick off I missed a small amount of sanitizing solution going into the first beer bottle via the plastic tubing. While not thinking much of it, I continued to bottle the rest of the beers. Unfortunately, I mixed up the bottles while putting them away, and now have no idea which bottle has the small amount of solution in it.

Will the beer taste different, what would be the impact, and is it unsafe? I'd rather not dump all of them because I cant tell which one is bad, if it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of sanitizer, if it's STARSAN, you really have no worries. It might make it taste a little different, but I bet you wont even notice. As for other types of sanitizer I still think you will be ok.

If it is star san sleep easy. I take my spray bottle and spray a mist of SS into each beer bottle and work it around the inside. 2 sprays for 750ml and 3 for 1.5L bottles. I never dump them out, and you would never know if I didn't tell you.

It's C-Brite rinse off - used recommended dosage for 1 gallon. In terms of amount, it would have been a couple of table spoons that may have ended up in the bottle.

C-brite is chlorine based, right? I think it'll be readily apparent when you open the bottle. If you can't taste it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've imbibed plenty of chlorine from pool water and so forth(where you can definitely taste it) and I'm fine. If it tastes or smells bad, dump the bottle.

I used to use c brite but didn't like the rinse part so I moved away from it. I don't know about the consequences but it might kill the yeast in that bottle, so if you have a single flat beer or you notice one without sediment, that's probably the one.

C-brite is chlorine based, right? I think it'll be readily apparent when you open the bottle. If you can't taste it, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've imbibed plenty of chlorine from pool water and so forth(where you can definitely taste it) and I'm fine. If it tastes or smells bad, dump the bottle.

yeah... you'll definitely know what ya crack that bottle. should be just that one, maybe the second one you filled too.... in the future, either really rinse stuff after using chlorine cleaners. and i'd really recommend rinsing with something like starsan after.

A couple of TS of mixed solution doesn't sound like a huge deal. If it was bleach water, I'd down it no prob.:mug: Iodine IDK.:confused:

Latest posts

Back