Can you Brew It recipe for Meantime IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1069
FG 3plato
IBUs 30
SRM 6.3

5.6kg UK 2-row 84%
610g munich 9%
70g crystal 20l 1%
400g table sugar 6%

Boil for 60min

20g Fuggles 4.7%AA at First Wort Hop
18.4g Goldings 5.1%AA at FWH
31.8g Fuggles at 5min
21.6g Goldings at 0min
21.6g Fuggles at 0min

Danstar Nottingham

Pitch at 68F

Mash at 144F for 30min, then 171F for 5min

Discussion notes:
This was deemed not cloned, due to the beer being "yeasty" and "phenolic". Justin, who brewed the beer, believes that he was distracted during the brewday and this had a detrimental effect. Jamil believes that this is still a good recipe. Justin reports that he may have added an incorrect amount of hops as well. Justin did a hot whirlpool and Jamil believes that if you are not using a hot whirlpool, moving the hop additions to 20 and 15 minutes.

I made this beer a month or so ago with no crystal malt, a single infusion at 150F or so for 1-1.5 hours, and a Willamette sub for Fuggles. It was a bit of imperfect brew day as somehow chose to move the 5 minute addition to 20 minutes and the flameout addition to 5 minutes in place of the hot whirlpool/hopback or what Jamil recommends. I also used Wyeast's 1882 Thames Valley II yeast, which would bring more character to the beer than the rather neutral Nottingham strain the brewery uses. Also, I made my own invert sugar with demerara but got a bit darker than I wanted...the beer is a nice orange/amber color but has some haze, which might be the Maris Otter I'm using. Hmm, seems to be a lot of changes here!

Meantime's brewer also noted they dryhop the beer, which is not noted in the recipe, nor did I perform it for my version. I don't have it in front of me but its equal portions of Fuggles and EKG, for about 1.5 oz for the 6 gallon batch size.

Granted, my version is rather different from Eric's post but it should be in the same ballpark. I clearly do not get the utilization in either the FWH or finishing hops that Meantime reports (~20%) - my beer lacks the bitterness of an IPA (Meantime reports a targeted 75 IBU). I've never had the commercial version but it seems the hop presence just isn't in my beer, so a dryhop definitely would help. That's the take home message.

I fermented the beer for two weeks then bottled. This was the only IPA (3rd) in a series of four consecutive that I had a diacetyl note. It has since been cleaned out after conditioning in the bottle. I'm wondering if the simple sugar has anything to do with that.

The recipe is process dependent and it just didn't scale well on my system. That said, it's very drinkable, just not what I expected.

Just checked... Maybee he meant 140g instead of 40 at the FW hops. That would bring it in the 75ish area as meantime reports.
A 27 IBU 7.7alc IPA would be a bit off balanced IMO.

Back