Temp. question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libs

Reaction score
I just started my first batch on Sunday night (All extract amber ale). Everything has been going great so far - lots of activity first two days, steady bubbles since then - down to about 8 seconds apart.
I checked my temerature and specific gravity last night. the sg started at 1.046 and is now 1.015.

Problem is that the temp is at 66F.

The best place for me to take over for this hobby is in a corner of my basment, and I'm hoping to at least find a way to make it work.

Is this going to be a problem for me?

If I need to warm it slightlly, are there any sugestions how?

I appriciate your help!! :mug:

Yooper Chick said:
Depending on which strain of yeast you're using, that temp actually sounds perfect!

I pitched 7g of coopers brewing yeast.

ps. that was frickin quick!! thanks

I've done about 6 batches so far, all extract ales with dry yeast. Every single one has fermented perfectly in my basement at temperatures much like yours.

By the way, welcome to the obsession!

1.015 is pretty low, thats good though. IT is almost done fermenting. THat means that yeast did there job at that temp. PLus i also think that during fermentation heat will be a little bit higher inside your fermenter.

With Cooper's 66F is ok and you are getting close to done. In fact, most ale yeasts will ferment nicely at 66F and most styles are better done at the low end of the yeast's range. Because fermentation creates heat, you can use an old blanket to keep the fermenter warmer should the yeast need it.

I really wish I had a basement, but that would require pumping out water 8 months out of the year.

My basement is only 64 or 65 right now. Is that too cold, or is it better to have a constant low temp rather than fluctuating higher temps?

Richard said:
My basement is only 64 or 65 right now. Is that too cold, or is it better to have a constant low temp rather than fluctuating higher temps?

What kind of yeast? If it is Cooper's like the posts above, then that is on the low end but should be OK.

Back