Using White Lab tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faxon7

Reaction score
Hi, I am using a tube of White Labs for the first time, Belgian Wit.
My intent is to make a starter, and use part of the tube for inoculating slants.
The question I have, though, is can the tube be sealed back up and refrigerated after pulling the amount needed for the starter? Or is it absolutely necessary to perform all steps at once when the tube is opened?
Thanks for any help,
Josh

I think all at once would be best. That you can just pitch the whole tube into a starter and wait till after fermentation have TONS of yeast to slant. You want to make sure your not underpitching even if you are making a starter. just my 2 cents

Are you planning on making 2 starters from the one tube? Half a tube is far more than you need for slanting (you only need a few drips).

As for can you reseal it and slant later, that shouldn't be a problem as long as you make the starter aseptically (ie over a flame so nothing gets in the vial).

I second TPM's suggestion of using a flame, and would add that you should spray the outside of the tube with sanitizer before opening it.

Thanks for the suggestions. The plan was to make the starter first, then do the slanting later on as time permits.

Latest posts

Back