Sugestions for topping off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicebag

Reaction score
I just put my apple wine into it's secondary 2/5/2010. I used apple juice to top off. A few hours later there's very little bubbles still present(fermenting stage).What would be a good alternative to top off with if I had no mixture left to add. Should I make extra when putting all the chemicals and juice together? The reading right now is .994

I just put my apple wine into it's secondary 2/5/2010. I used apple juice to top off. A few hours later there's very little bubbles still present(fermenting stage).What would be a good alternative to top off with if I had no mixture left to add. Should I make extra when putting all the chemicals and juice together? The reading right now is .994

I Always have some topoff wine in a smaller container (gallon jug or 2L pop bottle)

Your options are to top off with cheap store bought liquor of the same variety or with water (if you use water then it will obviously dilute your product to some extent)

Ive actually been using glass marbles like you would use for decorative vases or things of that nature. you can find them at someplace like Wal Mart in the floral arranging isle and they work like a charm. just make sure you sterilize them first.

I usually make a bit more wine, and keep it in a wine bottle with an airlock to use for topping up. But when I don't have that, I usually use a commercial wine that is a similar taste/color. I use sauvignon blanc for rhubarb, for example.

I will make a little extra next time, my question would be should i let the extra wine go through the fermentation stage in a different bottle (with the chemicals and wine yeast)? I think Yooper already answered this question earlier. DA!!!!!!

Marbles work great and the sediment falls into them and makes it easier to syphon off of the lees

Ive actually been using glass marbles like you would use for decorative vases or things of that nature. you can find them at someplace like Wal Mart in the floral arranging isle and they work like a charm. just make sure you sterilize them first.

Awesome idea. I am going to try that next time.

Marbles work great and the sediment falls into them and makes it easier to syphon off of the lees

I was about to ask Blue if this was the case. Thank you for beating me to this.

David

I use different size carboys. I have 6 gallon, 5 gallon, 1 gallon and half gallon for all my secondary storage. It gets kind of strange looking at my wines. All the different size jugs sitting around. But it gets the jog done.

I have also thought about the marble, or like things. I saw bags of them at the dollar store. Can't beat getting them for cheap.

Also: Do marbles from China contain lead?

I don't know about your area but around here you can find lead testing kits for about $5, I would surely test any marbles before using in my wine. I would also stick to the clear ones as you never know what is in the colored glass.

I don't know about your area but around here you can find lead testing kits for about $5, I would surely test any marbles before using in my wine. I would also stick to the clear ones as you never know what is in the colored glass.

Where would you get a lead testing kit? What store or type of store I mean.

Where would you get a lead testing kit? What store or type of store I mean.

Our local big box stores have it ,but I do know that some of the hardware stores also carry it... Have you a Canada Tire close by? they should have one. I would think that even a water store (like culligans and bottle water water cooler type places) might even carry them so that you can test your water.
Is there such a thing as a county extension office in Canada? I have been able to get them there also.

I've seen lead test kits in hardware stores and home improvement stores like Lowes. I'm not certain, but I think you're likely to find them in the home safety section.

Back