Bull Moose Drinking Club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerStreetBeers

Reaction score
My buddy Jello told me about this. It's not so much a drinking game as a life style. Given my general inability to commit, I have not taken "the sacred oath" but I really love the idea. What am I talking about? From the bull moose terminology page of www.bullmoosedrinkingclub.com

Bullmoose- Someone that has taken a sacred oath to always have a beer in their left hand and furthermore to always be on the way to keg if their beer is empty. In short, a great man.

Bullmoose Call- A Bullmoose Call is made when a Bullmoose is caught by a fellow Bullmoose with a beer in their right hand and no beer in their left hand. This is just a friendly reminder and should be appreciated by the gentleman being called on. To show thanks for the correction the gentleman will chug as fast as they can the contents of the container in their right hand. I would generally limit this to one 60 oz pitcher. If the Bullmoose has for example two pitchers in his right hand then he must only chug one of them. Unless he thinks that he can handle more. I have done the two pitcher chug in ten minutes.

False Moose- When someone makes a Bullmoose Call on a fellow Bullmoose and there is no infraction. For example: let's say that you have a beer in your right hand and you are hiding a beer behind your back in your left hand. This is completely within the rules and the person making the call would then have to chug whatever beer they have in their hand.

Jello explained it to me as though you could never drink with your right hand. But (according to the site) it's a bit more nuanced. You may drink with your right hand, but you must have a beer in your left hand.

I don't know that I like the encouragement to chug pitchers of beer. And I certainly would be a bit reticent to chug my tulip glass of Tripel Karmelit if I were called with it at my beer bar. But at certain types of parties this could be a real hoot. Maybe I will just take the sacred oath one for one night at a time. Hmmmmm, sounds eerily similar to my relationships with women.

I am left hand stupid so that wouldn't work out well for me.

I'm sorry, I had no idea.

Shouldn't it make it easier. Assuming that you already drink with your left hand. Anyone with a left hand can play!

There are rule variations that state that you drink with your non-dominant hand instead of the left hand for everyone.

I'm sorry, I had no idea.

Shouldn't it make it easier. Assuming that you already drink with your left hand. Anyone with a left hand can play!

There are rule variations that state that you drink with your non-dominant hand instead of the left hand for everyone.

Did you think I said that I am left-handed?

We did something similar in college but instead of a Bull Moose Call, we simply yelled "Buffalo!" at someone who was drinking out of their right hand and they had to chug their beer. At midnight the game switched and you could ONLY drink out of your right hand, so Buffalo would be called on you if you were holding your beer in your left hand. It almost didn't matter much after midnight because no one really remembered.

And then there were the nights you drank until breakfast. We never really were able to come up with a definitive rule about when the game would switch back to the right hand.

I swear I got dumber in college. I mean more stupid. I mean.....uuuuhhhhh

We did something similar in college but instead of a Bull Moose Call, we simply yelled "Buffalo!" at someone who was drinking out of their right hand and they had to chug their beer.

Yea we call it Buffalo too... but our version is more of a secret society. We don't allow anyone to learn the rules until you commit to play it until the day you die. We have a ceremony for all new members and take it very seriously. During the ceremony all "Buffalos" present must attend the private ceremony (no non-buffalos are allowed to be present or close enough to overhear) where whoever has been a Buffalo the longest says a few words about the seriousness of what is about to happen before everyone chugs a beer (or drink) out of their right hand. As soon as the new member is finished you say... "welcome to Buffalo, that is the last beer you'll ever drink out of your right hand" and then explain the rules. Part of the oath you take is to keep the rules of the game secret, another is you are allowed to induct as many other Buffalos as you wish, but to use your judgment and do not induct anyone who you believe will not honor the code.

I love the idea of it switching at mid-night lol. We might have to add that. :tank:

Yea we call it Buffalo too... but our version is more of a secret society. We don't allow anyone to learn the rules until you commit to play it until the day you die. We have a ceremony for all new members and take it very seriously. During the ceremony all "Buffalos" present must attend the private ceremony (no non-buffalos are allowed to be present or close enough to overhear) where whoever has been a Buffalo the longest says a few words about the seriousness of what is about to happen before everyone chugs a beer (or drink) out of their right hand. As soon as the new member is finished you say... "welcome to Buffalo, that is the last beer you'll ever drink out of your right hand" and then explain the rules. Part of the oath you take is to keep the rules of the game secret, another is you are allowed to induct as many other Buffalos as you wish, but to use your judgment and do not induct anyone who you believe will not honor the code.

Wow.....that is some Knights of the Templar $h!t right there!

Back