Raleigh pubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Any good brewpubs in the Raleigh area? We're heading there this weekend for the hockey game.

Thanks in advance.

There are a few places to hit. In terms of brewpubs I would say Southend Brewery (I've only had there pale ale...it was decent).

There is also Edenton St. Brewery which isn't a brewpub, just a brewery with a taproom. I like it, and most pints are $2.50-3. Might be a little difficult to find, but is near downtown.

You've also got The Flying Saucer downtown which isn't a brewpub, but does carry ~200 different beers. Probably 80 on draft.

There are also a # of Irish bars, bar bars, etc.

Adding a few to this, as it's old:
Edenton's is now Big Boss, and the pub is called Horniblows.
Boylan Bridge Brewpub: great views of the trainyard.
Aviator in Fuquay-Varina.

I'll agree that Flying Saucer is the place to go, best selection in town.

Woodies is actually pretty good as well. They are in moores square and have some really good specials.

Hey, Nate! when are you leaving town?

The Baron and I are brewing at my place on Sunday morning if you want to stop by. Haven't seen you in quite a while.

I used this thread for reference because I am currently on my last day of a three day trip to Raleigh, and I was all set to go to the Flying Saucer, but from the outside it kind of looked rundown and the like, and didn't really look like the type of place that SWMBO wanted to go to. So we went to a place called the Village Draft instead. I was very impressed.

According to their website, they have 99 beers on tap. I was happy with the reasonable prices. Almost everything was between $4 and $5.50 including a lot of the imperial type beers, although the higher gravity stuff came in 10 or 12 oz. glasses. SWMBO got a Carolina Brewing Pale Ale, and neither one of us was impressed, it was very light on flavor IMO. I was disappointed in myself because I said I was ready to order when I wasn't, and then panicked and ordered a beer from Founder's, which is less than a half hour drive from home. It was their Old Curmudgeon and I liked it a lot, so it was hard to be too disappointed.

If we end up moving here I will definitely be back to this place (and I'll also go to the flying saucer sometime when SWMBO is not around :)

Here is their website which has a list of the non-seasonal beers they have on tap along with prices: http://www.villagedrafthouse.com There were probably 20+ more seasonals that they had on tap.

Village Draft House isn't bad but you should have gone to The Saucer.

edit: next time you're in Raleigh let us know. When visiting dignitaries come to town we usually get 3-4 guys together for a few beers.

If I come again it will probably be a more long term thing. SWMBO and I have both applied to NC State for grad school. After this past weekend, it is probably our top choice.

Just out of curiosity, what makes the Saucer better than Village Draft in your opinion?

If I come again it will probably be a more long term thing. SWMBO and I have both applied to NC State for grad school. After this past weekend, it is probably our top choice.

Just out of curiosity, what makes the Saucer better than Village Draft in your opinion?

Mainly the selection. You can't beat having 90 some beer on tap. Also in the summer the waitresses outfits don't hurt the cause a bit

Based on their websites, I think the Village Draft actually has more beers on tap. I counted a little under ninety at the saucer (not counting mixes like black and tan, which I think they do count) and Village Draft advertises 99 and I'm not sure if that counts seasonals. Either way I'm sure I'll be going to both if I end up moving down there. :mug: Thanks for the info guys.

The saucer is great, it may look a bit sketchy from the outside, but it really has one of the coolest interiors of any bar I have been to. Aside from the great beer selection, they know their stuff and have the best mustard I have ever had. The Raleigh Times downtown is also really cool if you are into Belgians. They offer some really great bottles and the food is not bad either.

If you are into scotch at all, check out The Players Retreat is probably my favorite bar in Raleigh. A true dive that has been there for about 60 years they offer over 60 scotches and its just a very cool old place.

I'm digging up an old thread in case somebody finds it in a search so that I can correct myself. Since my earlier contributions to this thread I have moved to the area and I have some things I have to say.

The Flying Saucer is way better than the Village Draft. As a visitor there's not as much of a difference, but the Saucer's menu changes a lot more and features a better variety of styles. The Saucer also has better events throughout the week and they make an effort to get beers you won't find anywhere else.

One other point about the saucer is the waitstaff really knows the beers. Don't forget to join the club!
And the place isn't sketchy, my wife and I go almost every weekend. Typically we hang out on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and play cribbage. Say hi if you see us.

One other point about the saucer is the waitstaff really knows the beers.

I'll *mostly* agree with that, but... honestly, those girls aren't really hired because of their beer knowledge.

The last time I was in there, they had a RIS listed on their chalkboard as an IRS, and...just to be a smart-ass, Boston had this conversation...

Boston: "What is that IRS beer?"
Waitress: "An IRS is an Imperial Russian Stout."
Boston: "Is that anything like a Russian Imperial Stout?"
Waitress: "Yeah, they're pretty much the same thing."
Boston: "Is it any good?"
Waitress: "Well, if you like stouts or if you like imperial beers, you'll like it."

I don't think she really knew what the 'imperial' part meant.

But she was hot.

I'll *mostly* agree with that, but... honestly, those girls aren't really hired because of their beer knowledge.

The last time I was in there, they had a RIS listed on their chalkboard as an IRS, and...just to be a smart-ass, Boston had this conversation...

Waitress: "Well, if you like stouts or if you like imperial beers, you'll like it."

But she was hot.

Guess it is like anything else............

But she was hot.

To be fair, Stone calls theirs an IRS on the bottle.

ok, you guys covered the local tap options pretty good, any suggestions on decent eats in the downtown area that i could walk to from the convention center/marriott hotel?

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=500+Fayetteville+Street+%C2%B7+Raleigh,+North+Carolina+27601+USA&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=500+Fayetteville+St,+Raleigh,+Wake,+North+Carolina+27601&gl=us&t=h&z=16[/ame]

bbq could work, open minded about food types and eat about everything, good thai, steak or seafood, anything with some local ties (no chains etc). thanks

What do you want to spend?
The best Mexican you can find is a place called Dos Taquitos. Their entrees probably run from $14 to $19. Very good stuff, not just combinations of cheese, tortillas, and beans.
If you happen to be a vegetarian there is a place called The Remedy which is quite good.
For good Chinese go to a place called 5-Star.
There's a newer place right up the street from you call Buku. Very good food.
Humble Pie, right near The Pit that Moterbiker mentioned has some great food too. But it's a 'small plate' type of place, so be prepared to order several things off of the menu.
For good Irish food head to Tir Na Nog.
The best tater tots in town are at Busy Bee Cafe (also has a good beer list. not extensive, but a good bottle selection).
Sitti is good Lebanese food.
And lest I forget, The Raleigh Times. Good if you are a hipster, esp.

Raleigh is a foodie destination, believe it or not. There are really lots and lots of good places to eat. These are all right near where you'll be. You could actually just walk up Fayetteville St. and go in just about anywhere.

excellent, thanks for the responses methane and moterbiker. traveling for work so i can eat well. kinda funny, been living in Charlotte for almost 17 years and while I've been to a lot of smaller NC cities and towns I've never been to Raleigh. later.

Has anyone tried Natty Greene's yet? I was there for a North Carolina Brewer's Guild meeting. The beer was good and the food looked pretty good as well, though I didn't have a chance to try anything. Might be time for a GRABASS excursion.

For food downtown, the Pit has some of the best barbecue in the state, Raleigh Times is great for casual dining & good beer selection, the Busy Bee has already been mentioned, and don't forget Poole's Diner. Chef Ashley Christensen has been written up in Food & Wine, Bon Appetite, et al, and is set to be a James Beard Award winner sometime in the near future if things keep going the way they have been. The food is very good, though the beer selection is limited.

Edited to add that Poole's is just across the street from the Convention Center. Definitely give it a try.

Been to Natty Greens a few times, food has been pretty good as well as the service/ My only complaint is they tend to run out of the beer I want to have, I guess they brew the small batch stuff there.

It would be great meet up spot, we have done this with a group of our moto buds and they were great to us, even not hassling us for taking a big table early well before the bulk of our group got there.

raleigh was a blast. first night hit the raliegh times for dinner and a few beers (green flash west coast ipa and terrapin hopzilla). dinner was great, waitress rocked and sent us home with comp terrapin glasses too. hit the saucer after for 2 more (brown belgian ale and dfh 90 minute). second night hopped all around. foothills hoppyum ipa at the big easy, highland kashmir ipa at the foundation, green flash west coast ipa at the saucer, then on to the raleigh times again. once again a super treat to visit that place. started with an avery ellies brown ale and then after talking with the bartender for a bit he offered up a bells hopslam each for all 5 of us. had a fantastic breakfast at mecca and hit the road home. great city to boot, i'll definitely be visiting again.

raleigh was a blast. first night hit the raliegh times for dinner and a few beers (green flash west coast ipa and terrapin hopzilla). dinner was great, waitress rocked and sent us home with comp terrapin glasses too. hit the saucer after for 2 more (brown belgian ale and dfh 90 minute). second night hopped all around. foothills hoppyum ipa at the big easy, highland kashmir ipa at the foundation, green flash west coast ipa at the saucer, then on to the raleigh times again. once again a super treat to visit that place. started with an avery ellies brown ale and then after talking with the bartender for a bit he offered up a bells hopslam each for all 5 of us. had a fantastic breakfast at mecca and hit the road home. great city to boot, i'll definitely be visiting again.

Nice report, you "do" cities the way I do!

For anyone interested, Roth Brewing Co (downtown Raleigh) sent me this:

"You are all invited tonight to come out to Roth Brewing Company for Brews and Brats. In honor of this amazing weather we have been having we had no choice but to call GrillWorks out to the brewery and have a little shindig. as always we will set up bags and blast some good music their might even be a tour or 2..

ps look forward to seeing all the new faces that have been poping up on the Group Page.

Lets Recap
tonight = Great Beer + free food + music + corn hole + great beer (yea its in their twice)....

Cheers and remember what is best in life

see you tonight"

I will hopefully go out to this one.

Cherry Bomb Grill in downtown Raleigh is changing their name and format. They will be known as Brewmasters Bar & Grill.
They will have the same chef, but the menu will be changing up a bit. The bar is focusing more on local craft brew, which is always a good thing. Mark (the owner) says they'll still have the 66 tap setup.

They will be having a grand re-opening on March 4. Live music, and a cask of Scottish Ale from Huske Hardware will be part of the festivities. Maybe we can plan a local meet-up. It would be good to meet you all.

Back