Need help with a substitution!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I used in my Wee Heavy when I couldn't get my hands on biscuit malt quickly enough. I can taste it and feel it in my hydro samples.

:tank:

If you can get Victory malt, it's the same as biscuit malt. Special roast isn't a great substitute but if you can't get victory of biscuit it might be your best bet. If you're doing it AG you could also use maris otter as your base malt, that would probably work pretty well too.

I also read that toasting a pound of your base malt in the oven would work, Anyone ever tried that?

I just put it in the oven on a baking sheet at 350F for about 15 minutes. I removed it as soon as I could really start to smell it.

If you do a search there are some good instructions floating around. I haven't done it in quite a while so I may be remembering incorrectly and I'd hate to see you lose some grain to my bad memory. ;)

Back