Sanitizing a Keg, Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I keg on Sunday, I'm going to use Star Sans. My question concerns the rubber gaskets on the Liquid out and the Gas in ferrules. Do you guys take those off for the Star Sans dip, then replace them prior to filling the keg? If you do, how do you go about taking them off without tearing them?

You mean the orings surrounding the posts that seal against the disconnects? Put your thumb and index finger on opposing sides, squeeze hard against the post and then slide your fingers forward. This will bulge the oring out and create a gap that you can slide a small screwdriver into to "hook" it. Just pull it up over the post with the screwdriver.

I always remove the posts and take all the O-rings off then give everything a good cleaning. I put everything into StarSan before I reassemble. I don't know if this is necessary but it gives me peace of mind.

Bobby_M said:
You mean the orings surrounding the posts that seal against the disconnects? Put your thumb and index finger on opposing sides, squeeze hard against the post and then slide your fingers forward. This will bulge the oring out and create a gap that you can slide a small screwdriver into to "hook" it. Just pull it up over the post with the screwdriver.

I just got the O rings off in the manner that you mentioned without tearing a one. Thanks for the info Bobby!!!:mug:

I give mine a good cleaning (complete disassemble and scrub/sanitize) every 4 batches or so. Between single batches I just give a good rinse with clean water, dump in some star san, shake it around a bit, and purge it with some CO2 to get some starsan up in the dip tube. No problems to date (knock on wood:) )

deathweed said:
I give mine a good cleaning (complete disassemble and scrub/sanitize) every 4 batches or so. Between single batches I just give a good rinse with clean water, dump in some star san, shake it around a bit, and purge it with some CO2 to get some starsan up in the dip tube. No problems to date (knock on wood:) )

So you put the Star Sans through the Liquid line via Co2? i was thinking about doing this, just wasn't to sure about it. I was thinking about putting the Star Sans into the Keg, then putting some pressure to the keg, and putting it through the liquid line. Then empty the keg, and do the same but with some warm water to rine the liquid line. Sound Kosher?

Well, that's what I do. I also shake it all up, then release the pressure and use a pen to press on the "gas in" valve. I tilt it over the sink, and star-san runs out the valve.

But, don't rinse it after the star san. The star-san is a no rinse sanitizer, and as you fill the keg the foam rises and comes out the top. It looks weird, but it's ok.

I partially fill the keg with starsan, pressurize it, shake it around, place a rag over the "out" post and depress the button with a screwdriver to get starsan up the tube, put the keg on its side and do the same with the "in" post, and I'm done.

I presume ONE STEP can be utilized just the same? I have (4) kegs that just got delivered and I need to get them filled up. I love the no rinse stuff!

I usually do the same as Yooper does. However, the last couple of keg fillings, I pulled the post off, and dipped all of the parts in my bucket of starsan, and poured starsan down the dip tube. didn't take much longer, and now I know for sure that I had starsan contact on everything!

Rhino

+1 what Yooper said, don't rinse starsan!!! Plus, instead of dumping mine over the sink, I just use a picnic tap to put it back into my bucket of starsan so I can reuse it.

Back