Just Another Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julioardz

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
2 pkgs rehydrated
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 Gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 68F
Additional Fermentation
Dry Hop - 5 days
This has been my favorite recipe so far. I've done a regular, medium body, IPA without the corn sugar, a full ounce of Warrior at the beginning of the boil, and no 5 minute addition of hops. I've also substituted Centennial Type when Centennial was not available. The tastes were all very similar with differences noted mostly in the body of the beer.

ABV - 9.17%

13 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Ale Malt (84.4%)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal 60L (6.2%)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.1%)

Mashed at 148F for 75 minutes

1 lb Corn Sugar (6.2%) added at beginning of boil

0.75 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min, 32 IBU's
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min, 10.7 IBU's
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min, 12.5 IBU's
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min, 5.9 IBU's
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min, 6.9 IBU's

2.0 pkg Safale US-05 Rehydrated, 14 days at 68F

2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 5 Days

Primed with 4.8 oz of corn sugar dissolved in 2 cups of boiled water and bottled.

It's dry, bubbly, and has lots of hop aroma and flavor. I get a subtle malt backing to the pine and citrus bitterness. To me it's slightly sweet to not make it pungent and slightly pungent to not make it sweet.

Just moved, and all my equipment is still packed up, so I want to make an extract version of this.

Is my math correct that I would need about 9 lbs of LME for the pale malt?
What about the Cara-Pils/Dextrine? That needs to be mashed, ya?

I'm not sure about either of these two questions. I only do all grain and have very little experience with extracts beyond making starters. I quickly converted the recipe in BeerSmith2 and it says to use 9.5 lbs of LME to reach closer to my OG. That's with the corn sugar included as well.

I add Cara-Pils to many of my mashes to help with head retention and lacing. I put it in there just for the presentation, but I don't know what this recipe is like without it. My guess is just a little thinner. You can try leaving it out, or maybe you can substitute with maltodextrin during the boil. I'm not sure how interchangeable those two are but they both help build body and foam if I'm not mistaken.

I've never formulated a extract recipe but I know Northern Brewer kits steep cara-pils and crystal malts. I think you can still get the flavor/head retention by just steeping them??? Plus, I believe that there is already some cara-pils or crystal in most LMEs.

Yeah, that makes sense. I can steep the cara-pils, and get the color/body/head retention, just no fermentables.

I've only been AG brewing the last few of years of my 15 year brewing history, but like I said I want to brew something soon and It's not gonna happen if I try to dig out all of my AG equipment.

Thanks!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it. I'd love to read some feedback, good or bad, if you do make it.

My focus for this recipe was on the hop selection and boil schedule. I've done many IPA and PA's with a variety of American and European hops, but this combination has been may favorite. I just pitched the yeast into another batch using these hops, but I'm trying something a little different this time.

Back