Dishwasher sanitation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielbt

Reaction score
So, I'd like to use my dishwasher's sanitation setting to sanitize my bottles. However, I'm leery if it's actually going to get hot enough to meet the FDA-required temps to sanitize.

As I understand it, the FDA requires 140F for 40 minutes, or 160F for 40 seconds for an object to be considered sanitized.

My dishwasher is new, and is a decent Kenmore model, and has high-temp and sanitized rinse settings. Does anyone know how to verify, for sure, that my dishwasher is hitting the right temp?

Washing a thermometer doesn't seem productive.

Little chart that could be of help for the temps, and times needed, to pasteurize:

Temperature _Time_ Pasteurization Type
63ºC (145ºF)1) _30 minutes_ Vat Pasteurization
72ºC (161ºF)1) _15 seconds_ High temperature short time Pasteurization (HTST)
89ºC (191ºF) _1.0 second_ Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
90ºC (194ºF) _0.5 seconds_ Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
94ºC (201ºF) _0.1 seconds_ Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
96ºC (204ºF) _0.05 seconds_ Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
100ºC (212ºF) _0.01 seconds_ Higher-Heat Shorter Time (HHST)
138ºC (280ºF) _2.0 seconds_ Ultra Pasteurization (UP)

Sterilization:
Dry heat can be used to sterilize items, but as the heat takes much longer to be transferred to the organism, both the time and the temperature must usually be increased, unless forced ventilation of the hot air is used. The standard setting for a hot air oven is at least two hours at 160 °C (320 °F). A rapid method heats air to 190 °C (374 °F) for 6 minutes for unwrapped objects and 12 minutes for wrapped objects.[8][9] Dry heat has the advantage that it can be used on powders and other heat-stable items that are adversely affected by steam (for instance, it does not cause rusting of steel objects).

IMO, you're using more energy to use the dishwasher to sanitize. IMO/IME, better to simply mix up some Star San and use that. Have/get a bottle tree to invert the bottles on (spray the tree with Star San as you put bottles on it). Once inverted, they'll be safe until you fill them with beer. After all, microbes won't fall up into the bottles.

Incoming water, from your tank heater, should be 140*F to 150*F. Lots of people dispute this due to scald potential. But even plumbing codes suggest this, as well as health codes, to provide some sanitation in a clothes washing machine.

Most dishwashers are capavle to further heat the incoming water another 10 to 20 degrees to satisfy requirements for sanitation based on the devices cycle time and heat loss.

In other words, RTFM. It should list what the incoming water temp must be and what the machine cycle time and temp is for the sanitation cycle.

Back