chemical got into wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstar89

Reaction score
hello every one, I had 3 bottles of juice fermenting in a box i noticed. the box they where in had a crack in the top and fruit flys where getting you so i took some insect repellent sprayed some on a peace of toilet paper and layed it over the crack. My problem is do you think the actively fermenting wine could have had some repellent seep in in the form of vapor? please help the wines are fermenting very heavily i don't wanna lose them.

I would throw it all away regardless if some got in or not. Insect repellent is poison and I don't think you would want to get someone sick or even yourself. I have found that insects don't like the smell of potassium metabisulfite at the cleaning amount... 150 ppm (2oz per gallon of water)

As long as you didn't have any direct contact, you should be fine. Were your bottles air locked? If so and the paper with spray was just near, then the vapor isn't going to get in. If you got some spray on the fermentors themselves, then clean the outsides before any racking.

As long as you didn't have any direct contact, you should be fine. Were your bottles air locked? If so and the paper with spray was just near, then the vapor isn't going to get in. If you got some spray on the fermentors themselves, then clean the outsides before any racking.

no they where not air locked they where fermenting very violently so the caps where lose on there. the out going co2 would have pushed it out any way? any ideas.

Safe enough for me to keep the batch. You will absorb the fly spray threw your skin in greater amounts that what may have gotten in the wine. ( when you use it on yourself that is!) the co2 probely pushed it out and away from the wine when spraying anyway.

Back