Pumpkin Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Is there a commercial example of a pumpkin LAGER? I've been considering combining Oktoberfest with Pumpkin spices. I think the cleanliness of the lager could let the spices shine differently than pumpkin ales. I might make my base pumpkin ale recipe a few times and ferment it as both an ale and as a lager to see which is better.

Sam Adams has a pumpkin lager, its the only one I know of. Probably wont be out for another month or two though. Its not bad at all.

Sam Adams is definitely an ale. I've had Shipyard and I agree that it's not so great.

Sam Adams version is an ale, but Shipyard has Pumpkinhead Lager. Decent but not great.

Are you sure they dont make a lager? Im 99% sure it was a lager I had, which is why I bought it. Could be mistaken, but im pretty sure it was a lager.

Lakefront brewery has a pretty good pumpkin lager.I didnt know Pumpkinhead was a lager,I know it tasted more like cream soda though. Smashed (ale/9%) was great. Looking forward to it again this year.

Yeah the only Sam Adams pumpkin comes in their variety oak and is an ale. Shipyard's best offering is smashed pumpkin but the lager seems like they forgot the pumpkin and only has a little spice to it. Over carbonated too.

Just brewed my first pumpkin beer, a lager with an oktoberfest base. Just added 2 pounds of canned pumpkin (unspiced) to the mash and added pumpkin pie spice in secondary (used the spice combination from Brewing Classic Styles). Just over a week in the bottle and it tastes fantastic. IMO, the oktoberfest is a perfect base beer for a pumpkin beer with the malt character, color, etc

I know this does not address the question of commercial pumpkin lager, but hopefully helps you in your quest to make your own pumpkin lager.

The Lakefront lager is actually my favorite pumpkin beer I've tried this fall. Living in Milwaukee, I was actually pleasantly surprised that I liked it so much, but then again, I thought Pumpking was a big let down.

Back