Getting hot water to my HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a tankless hot water heater that has a flush kit on the bottom. I can hook a hose from my charcoal filter to the cold side and get filtered 140* water out of the hot side. The problem is, how do I get it to the HLT? My RV hose can't handle the temperature. I found a hose at the local hardware store that is for hot water but it says right on it, not for drinking. I tried it anyway and the water coming out smells, like, well, a garden hose. I did a search here and the general consensus is that smell and taste won't improve my beer. :)

The only thing I have thought of is silicone hose but I am not sure how to put garden hose connections on it and I think the pressure would be bad for it.

Someone here must have solved this problem before?

I have a tankless hot water heater that has a flush kit on the bottom. I can hook a hose from my charcoal filter to the cold side and get filtered 140* water out of the hot side. The problem is, how do I get it to the HLT? My RV hose can't handle the temperature. I found a hose at the local hardware store that is for hot water but it says right on it, not for drinking. I tried it anyway and the water coming out smells, like, well, a garden hose. I did a search here and the general consensus is that smell and taste won't improve my beer. :)

The only thing I have thought of is silicone hose but I am not sure how to put garden hose connections on it and I think the pressure would be bad for it.

Someone here must have solved this problem before?

didnt say how far it is?

what about hard copper, or pex?

Silicone tubing, Tygoprene XL-60 or Superthane with the appropriate fittings? Probably the easiest way.

Garden house fittings and big silicone hose. Or pex. . . Or copper, but then you might as well just turn on your tap. . .

The high temp silicon hose we see at LHBS or on homebrew websites is only rated at 30 psi. Your house is probably regulated much higher. You can find 1/2 inch hose barb garden hose connections at your local hardware store. Make sure you control your water at the source, don't overpressurize that hose!

Easily controllable with a water pressure reducer or a valve though. Tygoprene is a bit stronger - Superthane might be a better choice.

Back