80 shilling what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any comments?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 86.79 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 9.64 %
4.0 oz Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 2.41 %
1.9 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.16 %
0.50 oz Target [11.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.7 IBU
0.50 oz Target [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.10 tsp STAR Ph Buffer (Mash 1.0 hours) Misc
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.37 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 3.24 gal of water at 174.9 F 158.0 F

Looking to batch sparge and end with about 5.5gal.

Thanks!

Joel

Peat malt is not authentic, that's right, however I really like it, but that's me. You don't have to be limited by the style boundries, I feel that every brewer should brew what you want, and not be confined within a "box". However if you do want to be more to style, you might want to get rid of the peat and probably the second addition of Target. It's a strong hop and the flavor will come through, which is not to style.

I agree with dropping the peat and lowering the Target. According to Jamil, you may want to underpitch making a scottish (eg. no starter) - I did that with my 70 schilling and it worked out well in keeping the FG up a bit to make it a bit more malty.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys!

I'm going to drop the final hop, but keep the peat.

I've never tried peat malt, but I really like how it smells!

-Joel

The yeast pitching and not making a starter is only if the starting gravity would be somewhere around 1.036 or soomething low like that. With your est. gravity at 1.053, go ahead and make the starter.

Underpitching is not what Jamil was talking about. He was saying that the yeast count after a starter is too much for the style if doing a really low gravity beer. It won't develop the same flavor profile. If the yeast is fresh, the single vial or smack pack is enough of a cell count. By almost all accounts, pitching a single vial into a 1.050 beer is underpitching and a starter is recommended.

I'm a BIG fan of starters!

I took a fresh tube of yeast, and built up a starter on my stir-plate with half, and saved the other half.

I then stepped up the starter on my stir-plate, which is now going like crazy!

Time to brew!

I have a Scotch or Scottish on tap at all times (my recipe). I have found that you can afford to add about 2 oz of peated malt. It is extremely over-powering. After never using it, I tried it on a recommendation and 4 oz. made the beer almost undrinkable. With chocolate in there, I don't think you need it (I use a small amount of roasted barley and a darker crystal plus Special B and don't use peated at all anymore).

Instead, reserve one or two quarts of your first runnings and boil them down by at least half. The carmelizing that occurs from doing this lends that recognizable Scottish flavor. Ferment at the low end of the temperature range, which for 028 I think is 65F (I have switched between 002, 028, and Wyeast 1728 - my new favorite for Scottish since it ferments as low as 55F).

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I brew Jamils recipe and find there is a faint smoky flavour already without adding smoked malt. I suspect that note is what prompted people to add smoked malt to their recipes. While I agree that brewing what you want is part of the attraction of homebrewing I also believe there are very good reasons why styles exist. I would highly recommend brewers brew to style initially and once you have it perfected then experiment. Just my 4c (2c US just doesn't cut it anymore).

Even if you want to keep the peat, cut the addition in half. Peated malt gives a smokey aroma that's OK, but flavor-wise... ugh. If you want a real smokey flavor and don't care about the guidelines, add a bit of rauchmalt. Peated malt is real, I guess acrid is the word I'm looking for. Using more than a couple ounces, so it's giving flavor as well as aroma... it's not really very tasty.

Just kegged the 80 shilling ale.
It cleared well, malt comes through great, may be a little heavy on the peat.
I know, I know, you told me so........

FG at 1.013 for an ABV of 4.95%
Force carb

Can't wait for a few more weeks to try it!

Back