Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stumbled on this thread while browsing the forum. Glad to see so many central new yorkers, I may have to get in on the next grain buy as I'm planning on getting my all grain setup going soon. I've been waiting for winter to finally break so I can pull out the lawn chair and propane burner.

Throwing this out.to anyone. Cam into a igloo 5g gott cooler, phils phalse bottom with ball valve, anyone interezted? Or know of anyone...make offer

farmerjoe.. just sending this so that you know.. um.. on friday the 22nd im going up to vermont.. so ill be in teh albany area going to the interchange and onto 90 north.. its up to you if you would like me to meet you somewhere in there just off 90 or something while im on my way up that way.. (this would be mid afternoon sometime like 12-3pm) that is what im planning anyways..

but i figure i would give you heads up..

Hi,
I just noticed you mentioned traveling through Albany, Does this group buy service Albany and Southern Vermont? I want to order a sack but haven't found anything in the Albany area. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I would have to say its gonna be a bit. We just got our grain in not long ago. It took a bit for us to close out. However depending on how many step forward it could happen in a month or 2ish

Hey gerglegat, I live in Albany and have purchased in both buys. Perhaps in future orders we can work something out where I could go to Syracuse for pickup, and you could pick up your order from me.

Hey guys - please keep posting interest as you have it, but as the other gents noted - we are looking at interest in only a few bags right now; maybe 5-7. I wouldn't consider opening anything up until we have at least 30+ bags of interest. Last time people promised buys beyond 45 bags and I opened it up. Well all the sudden people change there minds and we were shy. So if you promise, do you best to be accurate.

The main reason why is... if you string along an order for several weeks or months, people stop watching. So payment time comes and the payments are staggered, i.e. delayed order, etc.

nuff' said!

I will say, having all the extra 2row and specialties has been great fun. Chewing through that on my 10G batches!!

Hi,
I just noticed you mentioned traveling through Albany, Does this group buy service Albany and Southern Vermont? I want to order a sack but haven't found anything in the Albany area. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Anyone can participate in the group buy, but you do need to pick up, or arrange pick up of your grain from Syracuse area NY. i.e. if you can work something out with someone (i.e. farmerjoe), it would cut your travel in half, and might be worth doing.

OR

Get a bunch of local buddies and make a drive down sharing expenses, and buy lots of grain.

Group Buy:
Thanks FarmerJoe. I'm sure we'll be able to work something out as I'm from Cuse as is one of my brewing buddies. Also, I'll throw this out there: I live a few minutes from Bennington, VT (work in Albany). Maybe there's some interest that way if needed for your orders. I'm new to this thread and not sure of your groups protocol. Maybe you as a group are not in any rush to place orders?? I'm sure as the group gets low on supplies (Brew More!)we'll be able to join your next buy, correct?
Thanks

The only rule from the group is to pay for your order in a timely fashion and pick it up :)

If there is interest from enough people an order can go out. However you need 42 bags of grain to make an order happen.

So if I have it right I am adding the following people to the notification list:

gerglegat
twogunz
brewdiver

Please let me know if I missed anyone.

Just for fun, I checked my grain consumption. So far I have kicked over three bags of 2-Row, and cracked into my Rye, Wheat and of course used some of each of the specialties that I got. livestrong? nope, brewstrong!

So if I have it right I am adding the following people to the notification list:

gerglegat
twogunz

Please let me know if I missed anyone.

Just for fun, I checked my grain consumption. So far I have kicked over three bags of 2-Row, and cracked into my Rye, Wheat and of course used some of each of the specialties that I got. livestrong? nope, brewstrong!
Dont forget me. I should be good for 2 bags, maybe 3.

cidah your a monster!.... haha, this month ill be cracking into a new bag of grain, the wheat, and rye..

um.. just so you know.. im making a smoked rye ipa..(my own recipe) if its any good... ill give you the recipe!

and that barleywine that i made a couple months ago.. i racked it into a secondary.. and the taste of it is really good... very malty backbone.

cidah your a monster!.... haha, this month ill be cracking into a new bag of grain, the wheat, and rye..

um.. just so you know.. im making a smoked rye ipa..(my own recipe) if its any good... ill give you the recipe!

and that barleywine that i made a couple months ago.. i racked it into a secondary.. and the taste of it is really good... very malty backbone.

Well I only get half the credit - I am splitting the batches :)

Very cool on the smoked Rye. I just put my rye IPA and a torpedo into fermenters this past weekend - so it will be a bit, but when it comes around I will let you know how it turns out. Just fine tuned my electric brew setup so it should be good to go for my blood orange hefe. I am still trying to decide about dry hopping the rye IPA....

Very cool on the barley wine. My buddy is very interested in doing one, as am I. It would be a great way to burn some grain up.

My pipeline is chugging! Probably because for a bit there, I nearly have half a pallet of grain in my house. And my wife wanted me to clear it out!

I went and snaked a sample of torpedo at 10 days fermenting. Its rocking hoppy. Its dryhopping now. Botteling sunday

I have been drinking my torpedos daily... man they are good. Had to get another batch going in a hurry because the torpedo will be missed when it is gone!

im drinking up that bee cave brewery (edwort) Bavarian hefe.. oh man that is so good....

every time i think im going to have a pipeline going.. i run out.. right before im ready to keg another... (man i have to stop drinking so much) but im brewing every weekend from here till june (well plan too) so i should be good to go... doing another dogfishhead 60 minute clone this weekend, and next weekend when i get back from vermont ill be doing that smoked rye ipa.. (im really wondering how this is going to turn out..)

Just confirming I do want to be on the notification list. If I buy some grain it'll force me to make the all-grain plunge!

Are we going in for just base malt or are there options we can sign up for?

Just confirming I do want to be on the notification list. If I buy some grain it'll force me to make the all-grain plunge!

Are we going in for just base malt or are there options we can sign up for?

TwoGuns - there is DME available as well, I think it is about $73.50 plus like ~6$ shipping for 50#. However, nothing wrong with taking the plunge. AG is really easy if you pay attention to the details and way cheaper than extract.

Look into BIAB brew in a bag ; if you don't have all the stuff. Or even partial mash. That will save you some coin, and get you settled in to the process.

what we did last time two gunz and the time before that... is that if you find specialty stuff such as rye, wheat, 60L or anything, and only want 1/2 1/4 ect. of a sack just post what you want and see if anyone else will jump in on splitting the sack.

rustbucket - Nothing wrong with having a little variety! Glad ed wort's hefe is good stuff, sounds like that will be another hefe I tackle this summer.

cidah, have you ever had Paulaner - Hefe- or Franziskaner - Hefe? this hefe is very similar to those two beers more towards the paulaner tho, which is a fantastic beer. but if you like the german wheats this is def one you should brew.. yummy... :),

if you have it planned out when you want to brew it.. before then i can still give you a bottle sometime.. just let me know in advance so i can pull one from the keg before i drink it all.. haha

I've been planning on doing sone all-grain for awhile with a cooler MLT and just need to finish the build and maybe buy a barley crusher I've been eyeing.

Where are we ordering from or is there a list avail? I'd most likely get a sack of base and Munich.

I've been planning on doing sone all-grain for awhile with a cooler MLT and just need to finish the build and maybe buy a barley crusher I've been eyeing.

Where are we ordering from or is there a list avail? I'd most likely get a sack of base and Munich.

Look at page one of this thread for the catalogue log in information to look at stuff.

Can't buy hops or other stuff. ONLY Grain or DME. Base grains, specialties and rice hulls, etc., are all part of that. If you have any questions, please ask.

Non-domestic grain bags are 55lbs and domestic are 50lbs (add ~6-7$ per bag for total cost). Use the 2000lb pricing rate to get your price estimate. Grain is a commodity so there can be slight changes daily to the price, though I don't think we have experienced price increases or decreases deviating more than .50 cents on an entire bag.

The prices are fantastic. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bought so much darn grain!

cidah, have you ever had Paulaner - Hefe- or Franziskaner - Hefe? this hefe is very similar to those two beers more towards the paulaner tho, which is a fantastic beer. but if you like the german wheats this is def one you should brew.. yummy... :),

if you have it planned out when you want to brew it.. before then i can still give you a bottle sometime.. just let me know in advance so i can pull one from the keg before i drink it all.. haha

I have had paulener several times, but probably had it last several years ago. I know I liked it, just can't recall the taste from memory.

I have it in the list, but it will be the second hefe to be brewed, a little farther down the road. If it isn't a hassle throw aside a bottle for me and I will toss you one back to try of something I brewed. Always good to sample a brew before brewing it!

Keep feeding your pipeline! :mug:

Hey rust you got extra simcoe or amarillo youd be willing to sell/trade or anyone rather. I wanna do yoops.dfh and cant find the hops.

Hey rust you got extra simcoe or amarillo youd be willing to sell/trade or anyone rather. I wanna do yoops.dfh and cant find the hops.

nope sorry.. jhenderson i have enough for two brews of it.. (one i have planned for this upcoming weekend, and one i promised my friend that i would brew for next month to be ready for this summer..)

Amarillo is going to be extremely tough to find right now.. but i just looked at rebel brewing they have them but they are extremely expensive right now.. like 3 buck and change for an oz so (LHBS prices)

Should be - pending weather I am prepping and possibly putting in apples trees all weekend.

Hopefully the weather is better out around your way than here. It supposed to be raining for the rest of the week up until Monday. Let me know if your plans change for Sunday, but as of now I'm planning on being there around 2-3pm.

I can't wait to get my hands on on those specialties finally! lol I'm getting bored with my SMaSH experiments right now and want to try getting an Imperial stout recipe going.

if you are just looking for a few - AHS has them for 1.99 an ounce. Not the worst price in the world, if you can build up some more stuff you need to make an order worth it.

Hopefully the weather is better out around your way than here. It supposed to be raining for the rest of the week up until Monday. Let me know if your plans change for Sunday, but as of now I'm planning on being there around 2-3pm.

I can't wait to get my hands on on those specialties finally! lol I'm getting bored with my SMaSH experiments right now and want to try getting an Imperial stout recipe going.

Cool - My buddy wants and imperial stout to happen soon too. He just found a recipe he liked.

Just checked out the catalog and prices...awesome! Less than half the price I've found anywhere else.

I'm foaming at the mouth to finish my cooler MLT, fire up the propane burner, and start brewing and drinking right now. It doesn't help that it's beautifully sunny out (something we wait a long time for through the winter here).

So... I'll jump in with both feet. Put me down for:
2 bags of Best Malz Pilsen
1 bag of Best Malz Vienna
1 bag of Best Malz Dark Munich

Just checked out the catalog and prices...awesome! Less than half the price I've found anywhere else.

I'm foaming at the mouth to finish my cooler MLT, fire up the propane burner, and start brewing and drinking right now. It doesn't help that it's beautifully sunny out (something we wait a long time for through the winter here).

So... I'll jump in with both feet. Put me down for:
2 bags of Best Malz Pilsen
1 bag of Best Malz Vienna
1 bag of Best Malz Dark Munich

I will note you are interested in 4 bags, but we still need to drum up some more interest before we full on go for a round three order. If you have some friends, drum up some support, right now we are probably at 10 bags or less of interest.

Hey cidah I might be able to make it out there tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. I know you said you'd probably be in most of the weekend, but just want to check with you first

but we still need to drum up some more interest before we full on go for a round three order.

I expressed interest in the last group buy but couldn't get my money in order in time. I have suscribed to the thread and will definitely be ready to put money down for two sacks of grain if/when round 3 goes

Is there an estimated timeframe for round 3?? Im in ROC and a few of us are interested in probably 1/2 dozen bags when the order is going to happpen.

Back