Rainbow Trout Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne1

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1187 Ringwood
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 20C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 4C
Rainbow Trout Stout

10 lbs American 2-row malted barley
0.75 lb roasted barley
0.5 lb chocolate malt
0.5 lb 60L crystal malt
0.125 black malt
2 oz Cluster hop pellets (90 min)

Mash at 158 ffor 90 min

For extract, sub 6 lbs. light dry malt extract for 2-row

Silver Medal Winner 1992 GABF Dry Stout

You can use just about anything. It is just for bittering. Magnum, Millenium, Nugget, Galena, Bullion, etc.

Look for a fairly neutral, medium to high alpha hop.

Try to keep the IBUs between 45-50

I was going to defend my previous comment about higher mash temps producing higher FG's, which is based in science and such... But I doubt it would matter to you... I wasn't making any dings against YOUR recipe, but that was obviously lost on you... Never mind that the yeast I used has a higher attenuation listing than what you used. Never mind that the vast majority of home brewers don't have a brew pub to actually brew in... Never mind that you blew off the cuff here when I was SIMPLY stating to be cautious and to not assume that you'll get a low FG when you mash HIGH...

Have you brewed this recipe with 1187 yeast?

The recipe is more than just a simulation based on BeerSmith. This recipe was brewed over 100 times at the brewpub and the FG is the average of the batches.

Thanks for the advice, but you might want to limit it to the actual ingredients you have brewed with.

Wayne, I've taken a look at all of your recipes and I've noticed they all recommend a 90 minute boil. Could you explain the reasoning for you extended boils?

I do 90 minutes for a few reasons myself. If you are doing all grain you can sparge with more water and get a little more extraction. When you boil that down to concentrate it again you get better efficeincy and, with a bigger boil you get more out of your hops.

mrk305 has gotten it correct.

A 90 minute boil will extract more out of your hops. Roughly 2-3 IBU. The bittering is also a bit more smooth with the additional time. A 90 min boil will also evaporate more water, increasing your overall efficiency. You should calibrate your system to know what your evaporation rate is for 60 and 90 minute boils. You can then plug those numbers into a brewing program to help you determine the exact amount of grain and water to get the OG you want.

The recipe also calls for a 90 minute mash. While most grains will be converted in 20-30 minutes, the longer mash time increases fermentability.

The mash times and temperatures are always a balancing act. For this beer, I wanted a a somewhat full body with a normally drier finish than you would get with a 60 minute mash. Thus 158 F for 90 min. It will yield the full body AND 1.012 FG.

Many repeated brews of this recipe in small scale, homebrew systems and 7-10 bbl brewpub systems have proved this out over the past 20 odd years since this recipe was developed. I do have numerous data points to draw upon, not just brewing an entirely different recipe, one time, with a different mash program.

Brewed this up a little over a month ago (but used S-04 instead) and now I'm cracking open my first bottle at only 2 weeks and I have to say:

Awesome.

I absolutely love it. As a plus, I saved the grains for this beer and used it to put in my sourdough rye. Absolutely amazing. Thanks for the recipe, I have a feeling this will be on my regular to brew list from here on out:mug:

I was thinking this had actual trout in it, kind of like Wyncoop's Rocky mountain oyster stout or traditional oyster stouts.

I was thinking trout couldn't possibly add much flavor!

It does sound delicious, I might try it. Unless you want to meet at a brewpub somewhere between Littleton and Aurora, beer trade.

Back