Yeast - Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33rL0v3r

Reaction score
I'm in the process of primary fermentation for a red ale I'm doing. I pitched the yeast Tuesday night. I started to see fermentation Weds around noon and had some good krausen on Wednesday night. Now its Saturday morning and the krausen has disappeared and fermentation has slowed significantly. I'm wondering if I have a stalled fermentation? I used Nottingham Dry Ale Yeast. I know in the data sheets for the yeast it says they are fast working, but I've never had a fermentation only take 3 days. I have a second pack and I'm wondering if I should pitch that at this point, or just let it run its course? I could also take a hydrometer reading, but haven't at this point. Should I give this a day or two to see of the fermentation picks back up? Or pitch more?

I've had a beer stop fermenting after two days and it hit FG no problem. Take a hydro reading. If it's done, it's done. At least that's what I've learned.

So i check it and it looks like its done. Those Nottingham yeast put in some serious work!! So my question is, leave it in primary for another week or so, or bottle? Usually I leave my beer in primary for at least 2 weeks before bottling, but if the yeast is done, does that mean I should move to bottles now?

I would wait. The active fermentation part may be done but the yeasties need some time to tiddy up after the party.

I usually wait 3-4 weeks before i keg/bottle.

Most people on this board seem to keep to the primary for 3-4 weeks before bottling. I used to secondary after two weeks, but I'm pretty much 3-4 weeks primary now myself. Seems to work great.

Back