How do I bottle carbonate a 12% beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnonyBrew

Who rated my beer?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I did a nice Barleywine that must have hit the yeast's maximum ABV tolerance. It never carbonated for me. I used wyeast 1056, the OG was 1.108 & the FG at bottling was 1.026. I had added 4.2 oz. of corn sugar at bottling.

So if I were to make another big beer like this, how do I go about bottle carbing it? I assume if I just add more of the 1056 at bottling time that the ABV would just kill it off before it carbonates.

Would champagne yeast eat sugars that are supposed to be left behind? Meaning it won't take the beer to 1.000 or under?

The Belgian Ales book suggests making a 500mL starter around 1.065 gravity, letting it ferment out completely, decanting, and adding that yeast along with the priming sugar for 5 gallons. He claims Belgian breweries always use fresh yeast at bottling.

The Belgian Ales book suggests making a 500mL starter around 1.065 gravity, letting it ferment out completely, decanting, and adding that yeast along with the priming sugar for 5 gallons. He claims Belgian breweries always use fresh yeast at bottling.

Do you know what yeast,amount, technique, and equipment?
I am sure the equipment is in the bottling line so what would a homebrewer use?

Most champagne yeast is dried, so no starter is needed. Also makes for very fine bubbles in the head.

I'm gonna bottle my belgian dark strong ale w/ some champagne yeast. My friend does it for just about every beer over 8%abv and he recommends it.

I bottled my 9% RIS and it's been too sweet like 6 weeks later. I don't remember the carbonation exactly, but there was some at least. I haven't tried it in at least 3 weeks. Do they take time to carbonate? I pitched 4 packets of Nottingham. Tasted great going into the bottles. Think it will just take some time or is it stuck?

So far i have bottled beers with ABV's of 11.2%, 11.5%, 9.7% and 10%. All are carbonated.

When i bottle larger beers i generally pitch a pack of us-05 into the bottling bucket and then rack the beer on top of it, then add the priming sugar and stir gently. I have never had a problem carbing a big beer in bottles like this.

Some people argue that its not necessary or that a whole packet is overkill, but i'll spend the $2 on a pack of dry yeast for the peace of mind of knowing my beer will be carbonated properly.

I made an 11% last Holiday season and bottled a month or so back. I added a packet of new yeast to the bottling bucket and the first bottle I tried had plenty of carb. It was only a half-bottled of the last from the bucket.

I have a second, full bottle in the fridge to try (maybe tonight?)

Yea I'm drinking a bottle of my RIS I bottled 2 months ago and it's still way sweet and undercarbed. I'm thinking of just pouring all the bottles in a keg, pitching a packet of yeast, and hoping it eats all the extra sugars. Good idea? Bad idea?

Back