Stalled Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hi

I've just started brewing at home and have my first batch on the go at the moment. I got it going last Tuesday night and the specific gravity of the wort was approx 1043. The instructions say that it should be finished when the specific gravity is 1014. However, there hasn't been much (any) activity in the last couple of days and it seems to have stabilised at approx 1020. Should I pitch more yeast in or just move to my keg for secondary fermentation and just live with what will probably be a low alcohol beer?...

Also, is it advisable to use a product like turboklar to clear the beer after (during?) the secondary fermentation?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Rouse the yeast first. Sometimes a yeast will flocculate before the fermentation is done.

How do you rouse yeast? I've heard of repitching but I don't think that's what you mean. (Shake the carboy/bucket?)

Sorry, I had already roused but it doesn't seem to be rousing! There are still some bubbles at the surface but no visible activity - any thoughts?

Thanks
Martin

Give it a few more days, if it still doesn't change you could always repitch. If you have a secondary fermenter you could rack to that, from the numerous posts I've read it seems that it rouses the yeasties for a lot of people.

Back