Question about off flavor in lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I am doing my first lager and I am concerned. It has been in primary 3 weeks today and as I was racking I could smell a very almost sickly sweet fruit smell coming off of it. I used the WL SF Lager yeast where the optimal temp is supposed to be 55-65. It may have spent two days getting underway on the high side of that range but since then it has been down below 60.

I spend a lot of time on this board saying RHAHB, which I am doing but I am wondering whether this is something which will lager out. It is going down to 40 today for two weeks.

Something's not done I will agree with you there. Primary fermentation is done. It is down to .014 with an expected FG of .015. But secondary fermentation is not complete hopefully, I need this to clean up a lot. I will leave it in this clearing vessel for as long at it takes.

I did want to mention that this is not the high fermentation temp fruit ( banana) that I am used to, it is more of of an overripe fruit punch smell and flavor.

"Fruity" is best described as "estery". Esters are produced by yeast at higher than desirable temperatures, or as a desired flavor in some ale strains for some brews (like Belgians and hefes). If you fermented a California Common in the 60s for several days (when fermentation is starting and most active), you'll have esters as a byproduct.

Latest posts

Back