OVER PRIMED...Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetSudz

Reaction score
It was way too early in the AM to bottle...:drunk:
I put 10oz of priming sugar in the water and added to bottle bucket with 5 gallons.
Should I put these on ice to inhibit carb?
Open after a week to release carb and recap?

Any suggestions.

What style is it? Some beers, namely Bavarian Dunkelweizen and some sours, actually have 4.5 voumes of CO2 as the upper end of the style guidelines. Depending on fermentation temperature 10 oz of sugar would give you about 4.5 volumes of CO2. While the risk for bottle bombs is increased, I think as long as you keep the conditioning temperature low (60-ish F) you'll be fine. As for being at the right carbonation, releasing the pressure after about a week or so wouldn't be a bad idea if you're worried about it being over carbonated. As a precautionary measure, I'd keep them covered so if there is/are an explosion(s) the glass will be contained. Hope this helps. Cheers!

It's an IPA.
Maybe I'll cool and crack one open in a week to check carb action.
I just don't want a fizzy champagne IPA. :(

You might still get a champagne eruption after a week even if it is carb'ed correctly.

I would keep it in a cold place for the duration (with the precaution mentioned above) and just pour it cold in a big jug, that way you wont loose any beer due to massive head and still be able to serve it.

Why not just let it ferment through then re-prime when its all done? It will affect the flavor a little, but you wont' have to worry about killing your cat with bottle shrapnel.

ThorGodOfThunder said:
Why not just let it ferment through then re-prime when its all done? It will affect the flavor a little, but you wont' have to worry about killing your cat with bottle shrapnel.

Its already bottled up Thor. What do you think about popping the tops in a about a week?

Wait...Id get a geyser anyway? Never actually opened them in <2 weeks.

Depends on the beer and the circumstances, but it happens sometimes.

But as ThorGodOfThunder says, pop them all and let it ferment out and re-prime when it is fermented out completely. I would do that if it was me, I like my cats.

When i listened to the JZ show on Berliner Weisse, they said to not use standard bottles for that beer. It's supposed to be carbed at 3.5-4.5, so a thicker belgian (or grolsh) bottle is needed.

According too beer smith you're looking at ~ 4.5 vols CO2 (55 psi). If you didn't mix the sugar evenly it could be higher. I'd be concerned if you have older bottles that have been used multiple times, or I'd you have them in a warm spot. I couldn't find anything definitive by googling, but that's the upper limit of your standard bottle's max capacity. I read that standard bottles are for beers @ 2.6 vols, but bottles may be good to 70 psi when new.

<start paranoid response>
My advice would be to make sure the bottles are in an enclosed container with the lid taped down, and they're stored in a cool area (e.g. Not next to your heater). After a few weeks put the whole case in the fridge to cool down. Pressure shouldn't be a problem once the CO2 drops into solution. *edit: Popping the caps is a good option if you just bottled them. If you wait to long and the bottle was warm you risk the bottle rupturing in your hand. If the bottles are cold you may not release much pressure by popping the top but it may still be worth doing.* </end paranoid response>

This could be overly cautious - I'm not sure how dangerous "bottle bombs" can be. However, if one of those bottles was to shatter in your hand/close to your face, it will probably "leave a mark."

Btw - this seems like a great Mythbusters episode in the making...as long as it doesn't give home brewers bad press. ;)

Edit note: per previous poster, if you just bottled yesterday you probably should pop them. If it was Saturday I'd take the bomb squad approach and cover it with a note for folks not to touch them.

Thanks for all the resposes...and paranoid rants :)
I bottled in 22oz Bombers (pun intended), and one six pack of 12 oz.
I bottled these Monday so figured jt would be safe enough to pop top to see how much co2 would realease. BARELY a hiss so I recapped them both.

Do you guys think it would be safe and still carbonate if I just pop tops to relieve pressure, tben recap?

I think there's a serious risk of bottle bombs here. Most sources recommend you stay below 3 volumes of CO2 in standard glass bottles, and you're at 4.5. It's a little worse since it's mostly in bombers, that's going to mean less headspace for more beer so the pressure will be even higher!

You might be OK, but I'd definitely keep these in a big tupperware bin or something while they're conditioning. And once they're carbonated, keep them in the fridge!

Venting each bottle really seems to be doing the trick.
I vent the cap and watch for foam to fill the neck. When foam reaches the cap I stop the vent. I do this every 3 days or so until foam stops rising to the top.

I then chill and drink. Carb is perfect!
I was a little anxious on one bottle and chilled before my "process" was complete. WAY to much fizz and big difference in flavor profile.

So by venting you mean that you start to open it with a bottle opener then stop? That works?

So by venting you mean that you start to open it with a bottle opener then stop? That works?

Yes exactly.
I still have a few that I am venting. Foam is still rising to the top.
I've been crimping the caps as well on the ones that need more venting.

So far this process has worked great. PITA though. :rolleyes:

GetSudz said:
Yes exactly.
I still have a few that I am venting. Foam is still rising to the top.
I've been crimping the caps as well on the ones that need more venting.

So far this process has worked great. PITA though. :rolleyes:

Last night I had my first bottle bomb ever. I have quite a bit of overcarbed barleywine. Woohoo!!!!

I've been babysitting an over carbonated Saison that I bottled in 750's with corks. (Damn 3711!!) About 2 months ago I discovered that they were way over carbonated. So I started 'venting' the co2 by uncorking and then re corking each bottle. I did this 3 times and now the carbonation is back to where it should be. PITA indeed, but better than throwing away beer.

Cheers,
-Mike

Back