New RIS brewing today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a brew, first one in months! Had to get an Imperial Stout going. I am in the sparge and everything is working well thus far. I have the new Drive-by Truckers playing and a crisp beautiful day to enjoy. I will check back as the day moves along.

I call the brew "Black Fish". Here are the details:

[size=+2]Desert Fish - Imperial Stout[/size]
[size=+1]13-F Russian Imperial Stout[/size]
Author: Thomas C. Hart
Date: 12/3/10

Size: 20.0 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 78.0%
Calories: 335.99 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.100 (1.075 - 1.115)
|==================#=============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.022 (1.018 - 1.030)
|=============#==================|
Color: 33.42 (30.0 - 40.0)
|=============#==================|
Alcohol: 10.39% (8.0% - 12.0%)
|=================#==============|
Bitterness: 78.8 (50.0 - 90.0)
|===================#============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
30.0 lb Golden Promise Pale
25.0 lb Pale Ale Malt
11.0 lb Rye (Pregelatinized Flakes)
2.0 lb Roasted Barley
2.0 lb Pale Chocolate Malt
2.0 lb Chocolate Malt
2.0 lb Chocolate Rye Malt
2.0 lb Special Roast Malt
2 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
2.0 lb Cara 45 - Caramel Malt
1.0 lb Crystal Malt 120°L
2 lb Special B - Caramel malt
1.5 lb Melanoidin Malt
80.0 g Tomahawk Hop (15%) - added first wort, boiled 120.0 min
80.0 g Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
69.0 g Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
Wyeast Cali - ale

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 38.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 1524 m

00:10:00 RIS Mash In - Liquor: 27.04 gal; Strike: 173.24 °F; Target: 155.6 °F
01:40:00 Saccrification - Rest: 90.0 min; Final: 155.6 °F
03:10:00 fly sparge - Sparge #1: 12.09 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 24.8 gal collected, 90 min; Total Runoff: 25.35 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.1[/size]

Hop substitution needed. The Centennials don't look good, so 100% Tomahawks. Same schedule and IBUs, just different amounts. Tomahawk at 60 minutes = 58 grams.

It doesn't appear anyone really cares about this brew, other than myself, but none-the-less, 20 minutes hop substitution will be 47 grams of Tomahawks.

It doesn't appear anyone really cares about this brew . . .
Got my attention when I saw an 84-1/2 pound grain bill. The 13 ingredient malt list made my head spin trying to figure what the outcome would be. Lots of unfermentable and the highish mash temperature would go against my preference for dryer beers.

Can you get any pics?
This answered a lot of my questions.

counterbrewery.jpg

Well thanks!

I don't have a working camera (except for the Video and that is a PITA).

Next time I will try to do a photo brew, but for now, just imagine lots of stainless steel in a garage!

I will be laying this one down and adding some oak. The malts are really just roast, chocolate and crystal, in various forms. 21% crystal and roast. I went on the higher end of the mash to get the character it will bring. I too generally mash lower for the drier finish, but I think the alcohol, oak, roast and IBUs should pull this one through. We shall see!

Whirlpooling with whirlflock and 2 ozs in the hop-back. 23.2 brix (1.097ish) I believe I have volume, but will not know until I have it in the conical.

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is fine this year!

11lbs of flaked rye may throw off your grain absorption number.

That is definitely the case, little rye sponges! I used a couple more gallons in the sparge, but I think that was good because I had a great rolling boil throughout.

I think I am at about 19.5 gallons right now, but we shall see.

I have been lurking as well. It took me a second to process the grain bill as well. I am headed in this same direction soon.

How long are you going to age it? and how long on the oak?

I am a little jealous of the 38 degree new mexico day. It was 25 here this AM, and with the humidity it hurts.

AnOldUR,

Cute bugeater. I assume she is your's? How old now?

I have 2 boys, 11 and 10. Kids are absolutely the best thing in the world!

The brewery keeps growing. I now have a coldroom!

I will age it until the fall and oak it for 4 months.

I will see how it turns out, but I may add some raspberries to a portion of this as well. I like to add a can of puree to 3 gallons and then blend that in to whatever makes me happy.

I also have a new HLT. It is the same tank JohnBeer bought. Ain't ebay great?! Basically a 70 gallon keg (or something like that, I can't remember the exact volume)! Now the smaller kettle (on the right, not the one on wheels) serves as the Mash/Lauter tun. I am also using a whirlpool chiller these days and don't use the 2-zone plate chiller unless I am making lager. The W/C is so much easier to clean!

I have been lurking as well. It took me a second to process the grain bill as well. I am headed in this same direction soon.

How long are you going to age it? and how long on the oak?

I am a little jealous of the 38 degree new mexico day. It was 25 here this AM, and with the humidity it hurts.

oh, stop whining. it was like 20 this morning, 30 right now.

The brewery keeps growing. I now have a coldroom!

I will age it until the fall and oak it for 4 months.

I will see how it turns out, but I may add some raspberries to a portion of this as well. I like to add a can of puree to 3 gallons and then blend that in to whatever makes me happy.

i like sprecher's generation porter (~6% porter with a bit of cocoa and raspberries) a lot. i don't know if i'd oak and berry tho

Kids are absolutely the best thing in the world!
Yeah, but grandkids are almost as good!

That's Eva, my granddaughter. Just turned one last month. Both my son (27) and daughter (34) made grandparents out of us last year.

Makes getting old almost worth it.
:mug:

i like sprecher's generation porter (~6% porter with a bit of cocoa and raspberries) a lot. i don't know if i'd oak and berry tho

No, I wouldn't oak and berry.

I don't know Sprecher's, but I wouldn't mind resolving that situation! I make Rasperry RIS now and again. I really like the results!

Yeah, but grandkids are almost as good!

That's Eva, my granddaughter. Just turned one last month. Both my son (27) and daughter (34) made grandparents out of us last year.

Makes getting old almost worth it.
:mug:

That is so great! Congrats. I hear Grandkids are better, all the joy and none of the guilt. I hope I make it there. I had my first kid at 39 and if my boys follows suit I might be "that strange old man in the chair in the corner".

I just saw this. I love your stouts I've brewed the dark night once as extract and again as AG with tweaks for grain availability last month. In fact I brewed the extract batch in Feb, and will be officially busting it out for consumption in three weeks when christmas hits.

I just saw this. I love your stouts I've brewed the dark night once as extract and again as AG with tweaks for grain availability last month. In fact I brewed the extract batch in Feb, and will be officially busting it out for consumption in three weeks when christmas hits.

I do love RIS! Dark Night gets a lot of play and got me a pretty ribbon, but I keep looking for something better. Is this it? I will let folks know as soon as I figure it out!

that is 23 in the fermenter. there is another 2 gallons in the hose, pump, hopback and kettle. I am happy with the days efforts!

I'm impressed that you have enough mouths to consume 23 gallons if imperial stout, much less that wild grain bill. Kudos to you, sir, and please keep the thread updated.

Well I am having VERY active fermentation, with loads of blow-off. Things are rolling along and smelling good. It is fermenting at an even 67 degrees.

I would love to come and see this setup the next time you do a Dukes of Ale showing. I'm up in SF but my max is about 35 pounds of grain for my system. I have a single tier 2 pump Brutus like setup. I just kegged a 12 gallon batch of 10% ABV Imperial Stout and 1/2 will be oaked but with spanish cedar instead. I just got done with some spanish cedar infusion spirals last week.

Good luck on this big batch.

I would love to come and see this setup the next time you do a Dukes of Ale showing. I'm up in SF but my max is about 35 pounds of grain for my system. I have a single tier 2 pump Brutus like setup. I just kegged a 12 gallon batch of 10% ABV Imperial Stout and 1/2 will be oaked but with spanish cedar instead. I just got done with some spanish cedar infusion spirals last week.

Good luck on this big batch.

What can you tell me about the spanish cedar and the infusion spirals? Sounds interesting.

Well, I can tell you that I tried a beer from Tampa's Cigar City Brewing (not available here in NM of course, we suck at variety as you know) that was a spanish cedar aged double IPA. It was a very tasty beer so I decided to try to find some spanish cedar infusion spirals as this is a quick way to wood age a beer (typically 6 weeks for full extraction of the wood flavor components in oak infusion spirals). I emailed and called Cigar City without luck and I emailed and called the people that make the oak ones. Turns out I could not source any spanish cedar ones. So I got together with a guy I know in Los Alamos who works wood for a hobby and we lathed some up from some spanish cedar stock I got from Woodcraft in Tucson. A DIY if you will. They do not look as nice as the commercial ones but it's worth a shot. You could just cut cubes of a slab of spanish cedar as well but I like the spirals as they are easy to extract and seem to work the fastest. I like to roll over my inventory fairly fast to make room for newer creations.

I was going to put them into a double IPA but I decided to put them into my imperial stout as I have 2 cornies worth that I just kegged. Might as well see how it works with the stout as I have it all ready to go.

The beer is clearing and has dropped to a 1.022. I fermented it at 63 degrees for 6 days, stepped it to 72 degrees and now have dropped it in steps down to 50. It tastes very clean, roasty and alcoholic. All indications are it will be a great beer. 10.25% will make a nice winter warmer. I hope the grain bill, plus the higher mash temp give this thing the body it will need to carry the alcohol. I will add raspberries to 3 gallons and blend that with another 5. I will put 5 gallons on home toasted juniper and leave the rest alone. I plan to bottle all of it.

More as I go.

Back