Just tried my first home brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's only been a week in the bottle, but my first batch has turned out even better than I expected. I popped open a bottle after chilling for about 2 hours and I have to say, it's one of the best beers I have ever had. That may just just be because it's my beer, but still, it's an awesome feeling. I can't wait to see how well it does after a few more weeks in the bottle. Just thought I would share, had to tell somebody, hehe.

-AJ

Sweet. That's encouraging to be able to drink such green beer and say that. Kudos, it will only get even better in time most likely.

Not only that, but it's going to be even better in a couple weeks when it's properly bottle conditioned! Feels good doesn't it; to know that you were able to make in your kitchen something that's a thousand times better than most anything you can buy at the store (and less expensive too?)

Tried my second batch, called Silly Susan's Coffee Stout, after only a week in the bottle and it IS THE BEST COFFEE STOUT I HAVE EVER TRIED.

In several weeks I am going to have my friends try it because I will admit the slight possibility of bias.

Sounds like your hooked...........................:mug:

To say the least :D

goodbyebluesky82 said:
Sweet. That's encouraging to be able to drink such green beer and say that. Kudos, it will only get even better in time most likely.

Yeah, I was very surprised. It even maintained a decent for a little bit. Thanks for the kudos.

eddie said:
Not only that, but it's going to be even better in a couple weeks when it's properly bottle conditioned! Feels good doesn't it; to know that you were able to make in your kitchen something that's a thousand times better than most anything you can buy at the store (and less expensive too?)

If you include the cost for all the equipment it wasn't cheaper, but I consider the experience of brewing and joining the obsession much more valuable than any cost I may incur.

talleymonster said:
I agree. I think we are always a little biased towards our own beers.:ban:

And we deserve to be. We put a lot into brewing, so whether a beer turns out good or bad, it's ours and we should be proud of it.

Sounds like you're gonna be hooked and brewing all kinds of things. You're walking down a long dark road! :mug:

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!

Congratulations!
One other thing to try is letting it chill for 48 hours before drinking it, it'll have a cleaner appearance and a less yeasty flavor. If you're first beer was this good at this age and with only a couple of hour's chilling, it's only going to get better from here...

:mug:

Wait until your friends try it, that's a better feeling than drinking it yourself...almost haha.

Yeah, most of my friends are looking forward to trying it. But I am going to wait for at least another week ('cause that's when I told them it would be ready), but those among my friends who really appreciated beer other than BMC, will get another taste a few weeks after that.

Hagen said:
Congrats on the first brew! Put a sixer aside and forget about it for at least 3 months, then try it.

Thanks and will do. :mug:

Not only that, but it's going to be even better in a couple weeks

And then wait a few months - but THAT is the hard part. THUS - MAKE MORE!!

Seriously though - congrats! it is awesome ain't it. Wait until you get people that drink micro brews tell you - This is the best beer I have ever tasted" THEN - give that same beer to a Macro swill drinker and they will say YUCK - I can't drink those HEAVY Ambers!

To me - that was a challenge!! LOL

Have fun and keep reading/learning. It's like chess - there is always something.

Today I was reading about Mini Mashes and the problems with Mini Mashing dark beers PH!!!!!!! it's always something!

Congratulations!
One other thing to try is letting it chill for 48 hours before drinking it, it'll have a cleaner appearance and a less yeasty flavor. If you're first beer was this good at this age and with only a couple of hour's chilling, it's only going to get better from here...

Thanks. I will do that before I serve it my friends.

Make sure to give your friends the very best presentation possible. You don't want sediment in their glass when you first let them try your awesome beer. Very off putting for folks not used to bottle conditioned beers.

Congrats! Just wait until you pull your first pint of beer from your draft system. :D

It's a great feeling, ain't it! My advice to anyone after their first batch is to start making another! And another! The more you brew, the more you'll have to drink, the less likely you'll be to consume your first batch too quickly and the better you'll get at brewing.

Congrats!:mug:

Any homebrewer who hasn't had this moment (even if it takes a couple batches), probably isn't brewing any more.

Back