What should I do with these propane tanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
I'm renovating my old, detached garage. Pictured are two propane tanks that the previous owner used to fuel a heater in the garage. I've gotten rid of the heater, and I don't need the tanks anymore, but I'm not sure what to do with them. They both still have propane in them, but the one on the right is almost empty. I'm unsure how much propane they hold. They don't have any markings on them that indicate capacity (that I can tell).

I thought about using one for a dedicated brewing tank, but SWMBO doesn't think that's a good idea. I'm thinking about just putting them up for sale on craigslist. Is it ok to sell partially full propane tanks this way? What would be a good asking price?

Propane Tanks.jpg

Why cant you use one as a dedicated brew tank? You can save a ton of money on propane by buying in bulk, and... well, it's just cool!

I'd probably just scrap them and get a few bucks for the metal, I'm not sure they have much value beyond that. Plus if you used it as a brew tank you'd probably need to build a cart just to haul the tank around. Big pain in the arse I'd say.

Use for brewing. If you have to move them nearer your brewing area...move them. They are 100 lbers. Looks like there is already a regulater also.

You can hard plumb those into your brew stand or to a valve that you could pipe into when you brew. They are quite valuable here in northern MN as people use those on their ice houses for heat.

Plus with that volume, you should be able to get home delivery for refills. Very convenient cause they are heavier than sin.

I would keep em and use them. Definately worth it. Good find and free too.

Why cant you use one as a dedicated brew tank? You can save a ton of money on propane by buying in bulk, and... well, it's just cool!

Yes, bulk propane is cheaper. I have another tank beside my house that is twice as large as these that feeds a fireplace inside. Its much closer to where I brew on the deck than these are, and its also in much better shape. Eventually, my plan is to use the big tank to run a grilling/brewing station on the deck.

I remember those big bottles growing up. I want to guess that they are 100# tanks. You could sell or refill them, but that depends on whether or not they are still in good condition and certified. Here is a link to propane tank certification requirements.

Apex Propane should be able to help you out. They service big home tanks as well as refilling the portables. They might be able to dispose of them, recertify, or refill, however it works out. They're right off 55/Williams (past the Ace Hardware but before the intersection with US1, if you're coming down 55 from Cary).

Good folks to deal with.

Chad

Apex Propane should be able to help you out. They service big home tanks as well as refilling the portables. They might be able to dispose of them, recertify, or refill, however it works out. They're right off 55/Williams (past the Ace Hardware but before the intersection with US1, if you're coming down 55 from Cary).

Good folks to deal with.

Chad

Thanks for the tip. We use Jordan Oil now to service the big tank by the house, but we've been thinking of switching suppliers.

I'd absolutely use them. No point in throwing away valuable energy, and I love the idea of propane home deliveries. You could easily rig the regulator with a quick-disconnect, and just plug in your burners, BBQ grill, etc.

Give em a quick paint job, if appearance is what SWMBO is concerned with. ;)

Do big tanks like that have to have the same safety features built into em as the smaller ones (20 lbs) do? If so, they'll be useful until they're empty, then no one will fill them because they're antiquated.

If they're refillable, I say keep em and use em. Use one for brewing, and another for a kickass BBQ grill in the backyard.

Back