Timing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've got a Dopplebock that has been in primary fermentation now since June the 1st. I wanted to do it earlier but my brew store was closed for a couple of week. Normally I move my beers to a secondary for a couple weeks, but I'm trying to get this one ready to drink before the 4th of July. Any idea as to what I should do? Should I move to secondary for a week then bottle? Move to bottle right now? Let set in the primary for another week then bottle? Is there any possibility that this is going to be ok? The estimated alcohol percentage is 6.4 percent. Thanks.

Josh

What yeast are you using? And at what temps?

True doppelbocks are lagers that take months to be ready to drink; heck, lots of smaller ales wouldn't be fully ready in the 5 weeks between June 1 and the 4th of July.

Wyeast Belgium Ale (For some reason the guy at the (other) brew store advised this as they were out of Bavarian Lager) is what I'm using. Fermentation appeared to have stopped after 4 days. Fermentation is around 68. Can be warmer if need be.

I hate to do this, but I've got no choice. Got family coming and I drank all the others that I've made.

Wyeast Belgium Ale (For some reason the guy at the (other) brew store advised this as they were out of Bavarian Lager) is what I'm using. Fermentation appeared to have stopped after 4 days. Fermentation is around 68. Can be warmer if need be.

I hate to do this, but I've got no choice. Got family coming and I drank all the others that I've made.

Buy some good beer, and tell the family yours isn't ready and you don't want to serve them something that is not ready and therefore less than perfect.

Seriously. We have this come up all the time. If a beer's not ready and you serve it too soon then A) people are going to think that you're a lousy brewer, or B) That homebrew sux and therefore they should stick to their BMC.

You can't really speed up a natural process.

Look at this similar thread from a few days back.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68320

If you were kegging that would be a different story...

That was a good of way putting, and deep down in my mind, what I was afraid of.

No great beer is ever rushed. Look at how quickly Budweiser goes from grain to can! Proof positive.

Latest posts

Back