Orange Blossem Special

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
OK guys,

getting my Orange Blossem Honey this weekend. And this is my recipe.

Ingredients:
5 lbs. extra-light dried malt extract
3 lbs. honey
2 oz. Hallertauer hops (4-6% alpha)
2 oz. freshly crushed coriander seeds
1 oz. freshly grated orange peel
Wyeast 1214 Belgian ale yeast
1 1/4 cup dried malt extract

Thinking of trading Cascade hops for the orange hint they add. I'm also looking to seep some grains to add some flavor to the extra-light DME.

Any suggestions?

I thought you found a good deal for us on Orange Blossom honey!!!!!! Drats!

I'm not positive on this but double check your coriander amount. It is easy to overdo from what I read. You can always add more to it. If I'm not mistaken most recipes only recommend .5 oz. per 5 gallons, then another .5 in secondary.

Otherwise the recipe looks awesome!

When I hear that whistle blowin'
I hang my head and cry...

Sounds good. If you're looking to steep grains, I'd suggest maybe honey malt, available from Northern Brewer. I've never used it, but I was thinking of using it in my barleywine, which will have some honey in it as well. The honey malt will make it a little darker, I think, so don't go crazy on it, but it will add a bit of sweet flavor to it. The honey will mostly ferment out, and it might not give you that sweetness. Another option to bring out the taste of the honey would be to add something unfermentable like maltodextrin. It might also be nice to use honey as your priming sugar if you plan on bottling. I like the idea though. And the name. Good luck!

....and it's bringin my baby back!

Sorry for a minute there I thought i was at the Mole Lake Festival (you have to be an old-timer from WI to know what that is)

Sounds De-Lish. Send me a bottle.

I do havea deal its like 12 bucks for 2 lbs. If you want i can have my buddy from South Fl ship it if you guys need it. Just have to paypal him the money.

Maybe add
.50 honey malt

and bottle w/ the honey instead of the corn sugar.

What i may do is make on 5 gal batch w/ priming sugar to see how it taste and do a batch w/ honey as the priming sugar...

autoferret said:
I do havea deal its like 12 bucks for 2 lbs. If you want i can have my buddy from South Fl ship it if you guys need it. Just have to paypal him the money.

That is expensive!

I just got 4 lbs. of orange blossom for 14 bucks from a local honey supplier....I saw it in bottles at the grocery store and noticed it was local, so I called the place and got it for cheaper.....

The more I think about this recipe the more I like it. I may have to try a version of it. That is if you don't mind, autoferret. But I second what Dude said about the corriander. As far as the shaved orange peel, when do you add that? I wonder if it's something that would be best added to secondary?

this is from the orginal recipe that i've modified after reading about when to add honey.

"Prepare yeast starter culture in advance. On brew day add malt extract, honey, and 1 oz. hops to 1.5 gallons water and boil for one hour. Add 1 oz. crushed coriander and 0.5 oz. hops and boil for 10 minutes. Add remaining coriander and orange peel and boil for three minutes. Add remaining hops and boil for two minutes. "

they want it boiled but i think that it should be adde to the primary like you were saying

And i agree w/ you Dude that 2oz of corriander is going to be way to much. Maybe .5oz for boil and .5oz in secondary w/ orange peel.

Rewster feel free to add and take away and brew away! It wasn't my recipe to begin with and i made it my own for my taste. Make it doing it your way. Then in 3 or 4 months when this should be in its prime i'll send u a few and you send me a few to sample and try out!

Ferret, I've got a heavy schedule of brews ahead of me, but I think I might brew this sometime in next winter to have it ready for spring. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I actually have brew plans for most of the rest of the year. However, if you still have some when mine are ready, I'll send you some. Or maybe I could trade you some Grampa's Woodshed Smoked Porter for it? PM me if you're interested.

Well guys after brewing this beer and letting it rest for way to long... We have a verdict. This beer rocked!!! Still have to brew part 2 but now I have a line to pass in making this beer better!!! My friends like this much more than my Rasberry Wheat beer.

Back