Would you pay over $500 for a 750ml beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some related threads on this beer. FWIW I've heard of people buying it for just over 100 dollars in the last few months. Either it's getting more difficult to come by or these people are charging way too much (I vote #2). I am willing to spend some fairly large sums on beer, but this one is a bit out of my price range.

internetwines.com tends to have a healthy markup on items they sell. To pick an example at random, they sell Talisker 25yo for $266.89--the place I normally buy whisky sells it for $169.99.

I don't think I am at a point where I could even enjoy that beer $500 worth! I am new to brewing and the complexity of that beer would be lost on the "I can get buzzed quicker!" crowd I hang with. If anyone has tried this, whats it like?

no, i would not. some people might, and that's okay i guess. it's their money....

For the $600 they're charging? No way.

I'd get way more enjoyment out of a bottle of Maker's Mark and the extra $560 I'd have in my pocket after buying it. But that's just me ....

I wonder if it tastes similar to the DFH 120 minute ipa. At around 20% it nearly killed me :)

The 2002 vintage of Utopias was released last year and was ~$100. This is a new vintage 2003 and they obviously think it is much better.

I would never buy this. For the price you could buy an incredible wine that has way more history, mystic, and likely a much more enjoyable flavor. It just doesn't add up for me.

On the flip side, it is an incredible marketing move (as have been all the Utopias'). The price alone drives the mystic of this beer. I know several people who bought last years release. It is fantastic, but I am quite positive that they are tasting a healthy dose of hype with every sip.

You can get some on eBay for just over $200. That's where I got mine. I have to say - an incredible experience.

:mug: Good Lord I've been wondering what to invest my entire portfolio on!WOW it should beat what I have been doing.:drunk: :D :tank

My new LHBS sells commercial beer too(BTW, anybody ever hear of this before??) and they had on in the back off the cooler with the hops/yeast/kegs. I asked how much, and the guy says its for him and not for sale. Talk about teasing, but I probably wouldn't pay what he'd be asking for it anyway. Over $100 is nice Bordeaux territory, and I'm sure I'd enjoy that more.

No, I've had Utopias and for a free taste it was good. 98% of the scotches I've had were better and I can get cases of great RIS' for that kind of money. I don't buy gold-leafed chocolates either.

Back