Scottish Heavy Scottish Ale 80 Shilling (2nd place HBT Comp)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When do you hop the wort in this recipe? at the beginning of the boil and maintain the boil with the hops for 60 minutes, or at minute 60 of the boil just before flameout? I have seen the timing noted both ways and just would like to be sure since i prefer malty beers to hoppy ones.

When do you hop the wort in this recipe? at the beginning of the boil and maintain the boil with the hops for 60 minutes, or at minute 60 of the boil just before flameout? I have seen the timing noted both ways and just would like to be sure since i prefer malty beers to hoppy ones.

If it is adding IBU's then it is at the 60 mark. Most normal notation is for how many minutes it needs to boil with that addition in there. Think of it as 60 minute countdown, at what mark to add them at.

If it is adding IBU's then it is at the 60 mark. Most normal notation is for how many minutes it needs to boil with that addition in there. Think of it as 60 minute countdown, at what mark to add them at.

Making this brew this weekend but I am still confused on this.

So I boil it for 60 mins and add the hops on the 60th minute? That doesn't seem right to me, but this is also my first brew.

No - when you see hop additions in a recipe with a minutes value, it's normally an indication of how many minutes are LEFT in the boil when you add the hops. So if the recipe calls for x ounces of y hop at 60 minutes, that means to add the hops when there are 60 minutes left to go in the boil (this would mean adding them right away if the boil is just 60 mins long). Likewise a 15 minute addition would be thrown in when there was just 15 minutes left in the boil. Hope that clarifies things and good luck with your brew day.

could it keep in keg for aging for 2 months??

QUOTE=Boar Beer;1732196]Thanks for the comments. We are just finishing of the last of that batch. It gets better and better over time. So put a few bottles aside for 2-3 months.[/QUOTE]

Made this as my first brew ever. Really smooth and good. I admittedly screwed up the recipe because I'm a rookie and didn't calculate my water volumes very well, but even as a very light beer this stuff is flavorful.

Thanks for making my first brew a good experience.

Brewed this a while ago and it's been in the keg for a couple weeks now and first tastes are really really good. I added 2oz of smoked malt but don't really taste it. Should of brewed this and entered it into the home brew competition instead of my milk stout!

Scaled this down to 1.1G, and had to substitute the yeast. Went to lhbs twice, and they were out of 1728 both times, and only carry wyeast.

Ended up using wyeast 1028 London ale yeast.

Bottling this now. Taste is quite sweet with lots of caramel and toffee, FG was 1.017 after a month (my mash temp was probably off, replaced my thermometer since then. Carbed to 2.4 vol because I'm a bad brewer and lost my brew day records of my volume, was aiming for 2.1.

Bottling this now. Taste is quite sweet with lots of caramel and toffee, FG was 1.017 after a month (my mash temp was probably off, replaced my thermometer since then. Carbed to 2.4 vol because I'm a bad brewer and lost my brew day records of my volume, was aiming for 2.1.

Anything over 1.8 is too high in my books, but then again I am Scottish..

Back