Southern MD brewers club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
I'm down in Waldorf and would love to help initiate/re initiate a southern MD Homebrew Club. I would be willing to host a homebrew club to get the ball rolling.

A bit about me, Im 26 and Iv'e Been brewing for over a year now and currently have a 4 tap kegerator with both pin and ball lock fittings. I just started doing 11 gal batches in my keggle and am currently converting to a low budget electric brewery in my garage. I do all grain brews and some meads currently, just started messing with washing and starting yeasts. I have a fairly large garden and orchard (for Waldorf) with plans of making wines/ciders in the near future. I also started growing 6 types of hops this year. Would love to share and learn from other brewers as well as feedback on my brew.

I would also like to start a southern MD bulk grain purchase group if we have enough members.

Please respond if your interested and i will set up a date/time.

-Eric

I would be willing to partake in these club events. My name is Eric & I'm 23 and have been doing this a little over a year and loving every batch.

Cheers

We just got into Pax River a month ago from the Seattle area. We would really like to find some fellow brewers and a LHBS.

I haven't been to any shops but my friends say Annapolis home brew is better than MD home brew. Due to the hour+ trip to the nearest home brew shop i typically just hit up midwest and pay a few bucks for shipping, a 50lbs bag of grain is only $25 and you can sneak a few lbs of other items in without bumping up the shipping. However i really need to stock up on grain and get in on a bulk purchase.

https://www.annapolishomebrew.com/

We should shoot for a first meeting in march sometime. Im busy on the 9th but open otherwise. I take it Saturdays works for everyone?

We just got into Pax River a month ago from the Seattle area. We would really like to find some fellow brewers and a LHBS.

My wife works down at Pax, before that she was out in Everett for about 3-4 years.

We live up in Bowie (so her commute sucks :mad:) and we typically visit Annapolis Homebrew as our LHBS. It's not a bad little store, they have pretty much everything you'd want as far as supplies and ingredients, but their prices are on the high end and some people have complained their recipes are "proprietary" (they'll sell you a kit but won't tell you what's in it.

I've had good luck buying odds and ends or a mixed grain bill from them though, and in a pinch it's faster than waiting for crap from online, though SOMD is a bit far to just drop in.

Lets have a meet at my place on the 30th of March starting at 2:00 pm. As for the agenda we can either do a brew day or we can do taste testing and meet and greet. I would also recommend everyone to bring over any equipment you want to trade or sell. I would be more than happy to supply some grub. Probably a large chunk of meat smoked for hours on a wood fire. I have plenty of parking.

As mentioned i have a 4 tap kegerator if anyone wants to bring a pin or ball lock keg over for samples. I will have 3 types of beer on tap, a dark Irish red ale, a fat tire clone, and a copper ale. I have a fairly large 1 car garage so we can brew in there if the weather isn't working with us. I have a propane turkey fry burner but my propane tank is near empty if anyone needs to borrow it. Ill be using my electric kettle. Please RSVP if you plan to attend. If there is a scheduling issue please let me know so we can possibly work with moving the date.

So things on the agenda
Think of a club name
brainstorm of future things to do as a group
discuss bulk grain purchase options
talk equipment and share knowledge

Id be up for this. As I said in the other thread I am working and going to school all night so I might not be able to come to every meeting during semesters. If we are finally going to start an official one going I will try my hardest to make it to the first meeting.

Im 26 and also work on PAX. I have been brewing a little more than a year and have been doing all grain for all that time except my first coopers kit batch. I have the standard 10 gallon rubbermaid setup, so nothing fancy on my end.

I did my first batch of mead this new years and starting to dabble in homemade wine from my grandparents local grapes that we found out were wine grapes not the concords they ordered from a supply store lol.

As for bulk grain I do not have a crusher yet, though I have been getting good efficiency from the Austin Homebrew crush. It would be something I am interested in.

Hello all, I am in the Hollywood area and have made several batches with my brother in law. We made beer for my wedding back in '09. I haven't made anything in a while but I have had the itch to make something, and have been thinking about trying to make mead. I am still a beginner as we have always used kits from Annapolis home brew. I think it would be cool to have a meet and learn from more experienced brewers. I will put the March 30 meeting in my calendar, but it is a little far out to know what my work schedule will be. I have been working a lot of weekends lately. I will update as we get closer. Hopefully I can make it!

EDIT: I found this thread from the post on SOMD online.

Being our first meeting. I would say we should just do a meet and greet, beer tasting, and equipment swap meet. If you are planning to attend please PM me for my address and phone number, this way i have a good headcount.

Hello all
I'm in Prince Frederick area...just getting back into brewing, would be interested if SOMD starts up a club. Haven't made the leap into all grain but quickly approaching. Would be interested in learning techniques and sharing grain costs etc..

There is a brew group down this way called Hollywood HopHeads (search Facebook). The guy that runs it already does bulk grain and homebrew supply orders.

I'm a mead maker if you're looking for that specific genre of brewing and need local contacts.

Maverick who do you talk to about attending? I ask this because after chatting with some people last year i was under the impression that the Hollywood group didn't meet anymore. When I Google'd st marys Home brew group all I got was an old geocities page, it never a linked to the hopheads on facebook.

It's all one group, but with different facets:

Hollywood Hop Heads - FB says they're meeting this saturday

Danny's Homebrew - LHBS, [email protected], he travels a lot but he'll get back to you if you leave a phone #

Just email the dude for details on the club and LHBS

*edit* - bad grammar....

Thanks for the info. Ill try to make it to there meeting to see what they are up to. I'm still on for the 30 march meeting. So far i have about 4 people showing up plus me. Please PM for address if you want to attend.

Just came back from a hop head meeting at Danny's. Good time real casual good people and great beer. I shared some mead and it went fast! I'll share more at my meeting. Picked up two 6.5g carboys at a fair price off Danny's Homebrew.

For our meeting agenda, i don't think i will be brewing, if i do it will be earlier that morning. My equipment will be available for anyone's use,10 or 5 gal batches. Highly recommend using whole hops or pellets in a sack with my rig. I'll do a 1 gal mead batch to keep it simple while hosting. If anyone wants to make some mead your welcome to do that also. Just bring over a 1-5 gal jug/carboy, stopper, airlock and about 2 lbs of honey per gal.

I'm relatively new to Southern MD and very new to the brewing hobby. I'd like to meet some locals and learn some new things. I PM'd you.

Thanks to everyone who made it out! We had a good time, drank some beer, and mead. No brewing; but west and I made a 3.5g batch of show mead.

Danny who owns a LHBS business down near mechnicsville, came out and gave us some free samples of shrink bottle wraps for easy label removal. Hopefully we can coordinate better with him next time and place orders for him to bring along any needed supplies. He stocks just about everything you would need to keep your home brewery supplied. I picked up some ball locks for $50 each and 2 sacks of 2 row for $52 ea.

Hopefully even better turnout next time. Stay tuned for the next meeting date! I have a busy next few weeks but i will try to squeeze in another meet. Next meet will be a brew day, hopefully we can get 3-4 rigs out here and run some batches.

Count me in next time. I have been brewing for the past five years and have been looking for a local group to hang out with.

Hey all, sorry we missed you at the Hop Heads meeting. My wife and I are hoping to get together with some folks for talk, beer, and beer.

This is not the Hop heads but I can get you in touch with there mailing list.

Sorry I missed it. I forgot it was Easter weekend when I RSVP'd. :cross:

I would love to get in touch with the Hop Heads, and all of you as well. Any plans to do another meet and greet?

Moved here to PAX River about 2 months ago. Looking to maybe get together with some local homebrewers. I have a neighbor that brews that might be interested too. Anybody know when another Hop Heads meetup will be?

I don't know when their next meeting is but anytime an FE wants to get together with a mech and talk beer, well that's a good day to me!

Back