Sparkling Wine in beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebacherville

Reaction score
I will be making some Apple wine and want to make it sparkling, I know how to do this but will this type of wine be OK in a beer bottle with a standard metal caps? Will the caps cause any ill flavors or problems?

Jason

Can't really help much on the beer bottle question- I bottle mine in empty soda bottles. I haven't experimented enough on when to bottle; the last batch I did at 1 degree Brix and it still produced enough carbonation I was worried about explosion. (nice thing about soda bottles is ya can unscrew the cap just a little to release a bit of the pressure if this happens.)

I do have questions for ya on how you make yours, though. I'm getting frustrated with spotty results. Any details you can provide? Have you ever experienced a slow starting ferment?

I bottled 3g of Ed Worts Afpelwein in beer bottles and am still drinking them 6 monthes later.. No off flavors, worked great. if you must go in wine bottles though, make sure they are Champagne bottles as regular wine bottles wont stand the pressure.

Crown caps for beer bottles are plastic lined, the bottle contents never touch the metal.

Back