Beer Storage AFTER Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I bottle condition my bottled beer in my upstairs office with the door closed and it gets to around 72F this time of year....perfect for carbonating. My question is should I keep my beer up there once it is carbonated or relocate it to my cool basement (low 50's).

So bottom line...is "long term" storage better done warm or cool?

Of course...this is only for the beers that I dont have in the fridge!! :D

I'm in Florida so I have no choice but to age/carbonate in warm temps (room temperature of 75-80). Of course they only sit there for about 3-6 weeks and then they are gone. Once carbonation is done I would expect a cool dark place to be the best environment for long-term aging.

If you have the ability to "cellar" your beer in a chillier area which it appears you do then yes, that is better for the longer term storage.

I too carb and condition in one room and then relocate the finished product to a "close" room in my basement and have had beers down there for well over a year that are fantastic!

Great guys...thanks.....figured that made the most sense....will have the wife carry all (6) cases from the upstairs to the cool basement tomorrow.... :D

Great guys...thanks.....figured that made the most sense....will have the wife carry all (6) cases from the upstairs to the cool basement tomorrow.... :D

If you want to continue this hobby unabated, you'd best do it yourself. Wouldn't hurt your brewing budget to take off your shirt, get sweaty, and make sure she's watching while you do it.

Back