Ale got warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmantzey

Reaction score
My Rye PA brew started out quite nicely. The brew went well and fermentation was off to a fast start.

I pitched Sunday night, woke up Wednesday morning and saw the temp was a little low from the cold night, so I plugged in my FermWrap. I then took off for work and completely forgot about it for about 4 hours.

When I remembered, my wife said it was at about 80 degrees, so she unplugged it and opened the window to cool it down.

Now the fermentation seems to have stopped. I haven't yet taken a gravity reading, but I'm afraid of what may have happened to it.

Could it be finished already after only barely 3 days? Will there be nasty off flavors from the temp increase? Is it worth saving?

Is it going to taste like :ban:?

I've had beer ferment quick. Are you basing it being done by the airlock not bubbling? The last beer I brewed the airlock didn't bubble, I think I might need a new lid. Anyway, check the gravity it's probably fine.

I'm basing it being done by that and the stuff on the top falling (krausen?), and everything inside settling.

The temp this morning was 62. *sigh* More equipment needed apparently.

I have had all fermentation signs stop after 3 days before. English yeast seem to work good for me. You might have some esters from the high temp but that temp was at the end of your 3 days so you are probably fine. Give it time...I try not to move a beer out of primary for at least 3 weeks

Could it be finished already after only barely 3 days? Will there be nasty off flavors from the temp increase? Is it worth saving?

Is it going to taste like :ban:?

easily could be done in 3 days. most of my ales finish in 2-4 days

only way to know if there's off-flavors is to taste it, but with a ramp towards the tail end i doubt it.

It did have a very slight smell that resembled diacytl to me, but that could be because the yeast was cleaning up after itself still.

I tested the gravity and it looks like active fermentation is done with no stuckness.

I tasted the sample I used to test gravity and it tasted quite fine to me!

I have another week of primary, then it will undergo a secondary with dry hops.

I think it's going to be great!

Back