Lookie who stopped at trader joes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyG

It's beer30!!!
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try the chimay for a whole now. Plus the guy at the counter ordered me a case of their anniversary ale.

image-1439223924.jpg

Some of their botswain beers are ok. I really enjoyed the botswain HLV strong ale. The stockyard i was not a fan of. I really didnt like their xmas ale either (maybe it was the anniversary ale) - lot of hot alcohol flavors.

For the price - it's ok. Their ales are better than their lagers.

We have one in Westlake a couple miles before the lhbs. Not much of a selection at this one though. More wine drinkers it looks like.

their dunkleweisen is surprisingly good. can't be beat at $5.99/6 pack.

love me some chimay, of any color.

who brews the "Providential Golden Ale"? can you look over the bottle and see who actually made it? i'm wonder if it's Unibroue again, the folks who make TJ's annual Vintage ale.

No wine allowed in NY State, so we don't get that. Their beer selection isn't very good for NY (stakes are pretty high here). Their private label beers are really all they have that's unique.

Some of their beers are decent. I like mission street pale and IPA ( brewed at firestone walker), stockyard oatmeal stout, and bohemian lager. They won't blow you away, but IMO are good for the price.

The Golden Ale and Vintage Ale are both brewed by Unibroue. Very tasty and reasonable at $5.

Stakes are high in NY? WTF is that? The rest of the world settles for dregs? Hilarious comment.

Wait a case of Chimay Cent Cinquante? How much did you drop on it like 350 bucks?

I don't like stuff from Trader Joes beers that I've had.

Stakes are high in NY? WTF is that? The rest of the world settles for dregs? Hilarious comment.

New York staters love their breweries from Long Island to Buffalo. I love NY so I ain't judging. Not that their neightbors PA and VT don't also make great bottled and distributed beers, but tri-staters NJ and CT certainly don't compare.

We picked up all four from the Boatswill line. The stout was the only one that was decent. The others weren't necessarily terrible. I was just left thinking, "hmmm, this kind of reminds me of beer."

The Golden Ale and Vintage Ale are both brewed by Unibroue. Very tasty and reasonable at $5.

Meaning, you can find good beer everywhere. Gas stations sell craft brew. Wegmans has a much better selection than TJ's, and then there's Beers of the World and Finger Lakes Beverage. No one would be giddy about finding Chimay.

McGarnigle said:
Meaning, you can find good beer everywhere. Gas stations sell craft brew. Wegmans has a much better selection than TJ's, and then there's Beers of the World and Finger Lakes Beverage. No one would be giddy about finding Chimay.

Yeah, good beer isn't a New York thing. Good try though.

The giddiness might be the fact that OP is already at TJ's getting dinner and can just walk over an aisle to pick up decent beer, too.

Yeah, good beer isn't a New York thing. Good try though.

The giddiness might be the fact that OP is already at TJ's getting dinner and can just walk over an aisle to pick up decent beer, too.

"Good try"?

No, it isn't exclusively a NY thing, but talk to Pennsylvanians about beer availability of beer. Or Oklahomans. In NY we have no problems with beer but silly rules about wine.

I dumped out a Trader Joe's Bock before. I rarely dump out beers, but that one was pretty awful. Wasn't too much of a fan of the Botswain ones, but like the one post said, they weren't downright terrible. The chocolate stout is the better of them.

Now that I think of it, I also liked their pilsner - it's called Joseph Brau PLZR Czech Lager - had to look it up again.

I couldn't stand those Boatswain beers. Worth a gamble at $1.99 though.

for the bottle alone... I'm all over the HLV... for 12.99 + shipping at online shop for 12 empty bottles I can stomach alot of those with the beer in them... My T-Joe's has Nero's red and Dark ale 500ml grolsch type bottles for $1.99 ... guess what I'm drinking now while my tripel ferments

Back